Should my 2 yr. 5 mth. son be taking a daily vitamin?

My son's pediatricians NEVER mentioned him taking vitamins before, but my cousin just told me that her kids have taken them since they were 4 months old. My son eats 2 servings of veggies and at least 3 servings of fruit per day. He also eats meat twice a day and drinks plently of milk.

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 8:58 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is a personal choice. All my kids take a muti and immune formula with extra c.As long as you follow the directions I dont see the harm in it. Typically the body gets rid of any extra that it doesnt need.
    Always keep your ped in the loop that way he/she can make a note of it in your sons chart.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 9:03 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It is NOT necessary for a toddler to take a multivitamin if they are eating a balanced diet. It sounds like your son is getting adequate nutrition from his diet alone. Having children's multivitamins in the home can create a problem IF those pills are not kept out of a child's reach. Most have iron in them and children CAN and DO overdose on Iron if they think the vitamins are candy and eat "extra" pills. The idea that "it doesn't hurt" is an incorrect one IF the use is not carefully watched.

I would ask your pediatrician if your son needs to be taking a multivitamin. Chances are that you will be told "no, he's getting the right things from his diet". My pediatrician has NEVER told us to give my son a multivitamin because he does get an adequate diet.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Does your pediatrician recommend them? Mine tells me specifically that they don't need them. As your pediatrician specifically about them.

No. They are not needed if the kid is getting a balanced (mostly) diet. And too much of certain vitamins or minerals can be bad...the body doesn't always get rid of extra.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2009