Question about shingles...

If my relatives visit an aunt with shingles (just diagnosed) and then visit my dad in the hospital (just had open-heart surgery) can they carry the shingles germ to my dad?

I know shingles are highly contagious in the beginning, but isn't that usually in the days before they diagnose and then start treatment? And what if the visits are not on the same day? I just don't want dad catching anything that would make his recovery any more miserable for him!

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 9:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• Shingles is usually a harbored virus related to Chickenpox. From what I remember Shingles must be touched to be contagious. I was around a lot of people when I had and no one I know got it from me. I do understand that your dad has a long recovery period of him and you don't want someone to hinder it , but I think that it will be okay for them to visit.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• From http://hubpages.com/hub/ShinglesContagious :

(If the person hasn't had chickenpox they can catch the virus from a person with shingles. If they have had chickenpox they already have the virus.)

"Shingles are contagious when there are new blisters forming and old blisters healing. Once all the blisters have crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread.

Once a person has had chickenpox, they are no longer susceptible to another person who has shingles, in other words, they cannot catch the virus from someone else who is broken out with shingles blisters, whether they are crusted over or not."

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009