Is having dinner at your wedding reception a must?

I'm considering not serving dinner at my wedding reception for money reasons, does the dinner really make that big of a difference?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it's a must, IMO. I would try cutting out other things. If you can't, consider having finger foods, which can cut down on the cost quite a bit. I just thing guests at a reception like to eat and drink. That's what makes it fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it depends what time your wedding is going to be held. A newer trend is serving dinner, but not inviting everyone to it. A few of my friends have invited about 1/2 of the "normal" amount of people to the dinner etc, and the rest just to the ceremony and dessert/dancing.
    You may be able to do something like that, or just keep the dinner really simple.
    Just a few ideas.
    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The dinner can cost a lot of money. If you do have a dinner I would ask family to help. You could do your own cooking and save a big chunk of change doing this. All of her aunt's chipped in and all cooked somthing for the dinner. It was very nice. Send me a mess. and I'll tell you more and give you ideas.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Try doing like h'ordeurves. :) I know someone who did that. But somehow list that on the invitation thats what will be served so people can eat before your ceromony and wont come hungry
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I thought that I HAD to have a dinner...I owed it to my guests.....I wish I had done cake and coffee!!!!! There were so many little things that I wish I would have done differently! If money is an issue, then do what YOU feel is right! I would never be offended to go to a wedding and not be served a meal! And the last thing you want to do is come home from a honeymoon in DEBT! I do know a girl who ended up doing a wedding in the park...very small, and everyone just brought a covered dish for an afterward picnic! Try to be creative! Congrats and Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• OR I don't know how many people are coming but make the food yourself.. or have someone in your family do it. I did that with mine my mom and granny made the dinner and my brothers wedding his wife has an aunt that made tia food!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It used to be that people were invited to the wedding and then only some were invited to the reception. It never seemed right to me to do this. If you pick a time for the wedding that is clearly not a meal time- such as early to mid-afternoon, then snacks or finger foods that people can walk around and eat should be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• No it isn't a must. Have appetizers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When my husband and I were planning our wedding, we chose to have no dance because there just wasn't the money to do so. We only had about 50 people invited to the wedding. For the meal afterwards, it was a potluck right there at same the church we were married in.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think its a must. You can cut costs though by calling around and getting different ideas. I wasnt sure how we would pay for ours but we pulled it off. My mil found a restaurant and knew the owner and he rented us the hall for $50 and we had a limited menu. It came out to around $650-$700. Before that I called and had prices as low as $6 a person if we wanted them to come cater the event, but those were small businesses that quoted us.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2009