I need help

I'm a single mom of a 7 year old little boy. He is my life. Is it wrong of me to want to have some alone time and some adult time? The way my parents act I'm the worst mom for. I don't know what to do.

MsDiaz06

Asked by MsDiaz06 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Well, telling you straight up as a grandparent, none of that would fly at my house."

Mine either. Grandparent does not = on call babysitter. You're the parent. It's your responsibility to make child care arrangements that do not involve imposing on your parents constantly. Once a month or so is plenty
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Lol, okay let me try and spell this out. Your parents watch your son for over 12 hours a day, approximately five days per week. You WANT them to watch him six or seven days a week.

You don't think that's a bit selfish?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Do you live with your parents? If not, don't tell them what you're doing. We all need a break. If you do live with your parents, make sure your child has a babysitter outside the house. And make sure your "alone/adult time" is safe.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Well, telling you straight up as a grandparent, none of that would fly at my house.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:08 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• MsDiaz, you are expecting them to babysit him for 12 hour days and then watch him on your off days. That is absurd. Do you ever get to see your child?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:20 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• So, why do you need him out of the house if your friend just comes over?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• What do you mean you get your son on the days you're off? Does he just stay with your parents 24 hours a day while you're working?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• That depends. How much alone time and how much adult time are we talking about? If you are living on your own and not relying on your parents to watch your son whenever you want alone time and adult time, then it's really none of their business. If you are relying on them, find a way not to rely on them and then they can't have a say so.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Ugh, okay therein lies your problem. Of course they don't want to watch him while you are out partying. Get a babysitter and let your parents have some grownup time!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• My point is that you're asking them to babysit above and beyond 12 hours a day which is nuts
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:16 PM on Apr. 29, 2013