What would be done for a person with Sleep Apnea?

My dh has sleep apnea now he has to sleep with this breathing machine I am already used to it but what can we do as far as a deeper approach...like surgery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• My son had to get his tonsils and adenoids removed...and this took care of his apnea.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Sleep apnea can be dealt with surgically by removing tonsils and adnoids and in some cases also looking at the sinus cavity and seeing if anything needs to be done there. You can however avoid surgery by trying things at home first. Losing weight, stopping the use of tobacco, sleep aids, or alcohol also helps. He can try sleeping on his side and elevating his head 4-5 inches at night so hes sleeping at a higher angle, and the use of breathe strips can also help. I would suggest trying all of these before contemplating surgery. If they dont help then surgery can be an answer.

Answer by gemgem at 9:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't know that there is a different approach to treat sleep apnea. It depends on the cause of the sleep apnea ... some people develop it due to weight so they would be advised to lose weight. If there are throat obstructions (like PP said about tonsils and adnoids) then those can be removed, but if there are no obstructions and the person is not overweight, the CPAP (constant positive airway pressure) machine is about the only thing that can be done. My mother had sleep apnea and my father has it now, too and the CPAP was the only thing the Dr's could do to treat them.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• What if you can't tolerate the mask? First time I tried I couldn't breathe and I was gasping for air. And was with different kinds of mask. Now the second time around I was given a new mask but still have problems with it. I feel claustrophobic, can't change positions easily. Causes my nose to become sore. It causes pain in my cheeks and feels like they are on fire. I have Fibromyalgia too and the mask seems to cause more facial pain for me too. What can be done then? I not overweight, I don't drink or smoke. I sleep on my side and with 2 pillows under my head. Is surgery the only other thing that can be done?
    momofzachjassop

Answer by momofzachjassop at 3:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010