Why does my son smells like maple syrup?

He hasnt had any syrup but the smell is really strong. What could it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If a person gives of a sweet odor it can signal diabetes. This would be a smell that is with them over time. It could be he has had too much sugar. It could be you mind projecting onto him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• How closely does Maple Syrup Urine Disease match his symptoms?

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Have you ever heard of maple syrup urine disease? It's when the body can't break down certain proteins, & the person starts to smell like maple syrup, especially the urine. Some forms don't show up till childhood. I'm assuming you've given him a bath & he still smells that way?
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• You got it in before me, JJK!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• You're Anon, that's why. All Anon off spring smell of syrup.
    Anonymous

• Better bathe your children too anon. And I just gave him a bath, so we'll see what happens. I have not noticed this before and no no other symptoms or anything described with that disease.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Sweat? Sometimes their heads stink from sweating. It could be something like that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• It could be sweat. I noticed the smell when he came home from school and it was hot today.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• both my kids smelled like maple syrup most mornings, first thing in the morning...we always just assumed it was the pjs b/c the smell went away when we got them dressed for the day (which included a diaper change). now im curious cause it says theres a intolerance type of this disorder that doesnt have the big symptoms like coma, death, etc. you might wanna get your son tested for it...i think im gonna mention this to my kids dr when we go in in June.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2013