Is this verbal abuse that I'm dealing with from my own mother?

I mind my own business and I try my best to be pleasant and respectful towards my mother. I try my best to compromise with her on things. However, every single time I'm around her she's always picking with me. Asking me about things that I have done like I'm a lil kid. Then, she tries to find lil things to pick on me about. For example, today I have been ripping and running for her. I clean up for her. I hang up her work clothes. Btw, I have my own place, but I do go over to her house a lot for personal reasons like internet usage. I do a lot of important stuff online like online college work. So I cook me a burger just now, because I only had one meal today. She asks me for a lil bit of my burger. I really didn't feel like giving her any since she had such a nasty attitude towards me in the first place. However, I told her she can have some anyways. She tries to take half of my burger. I told her I only had one meal today and it will be unfair if she took half of my burger. I told her if she really wanted a burger she should cook one herself since I was busy doing things for her. I would have cooked her one, but she left so I didn't know what time she would get back. Anyways, she throws a big fit talking about me being selfish and starts nagging, Then, when I finally got angry and yelled at her saying leave me alone. She has a huge smirk on her face and tells me that I have mental issues. I'm tired of having bad days, because of her. Any advice on me and my mother's dysfunctional relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2013 in Relationships

• Even still there is no reason to be picking up her clothes or shlepping for her.
    If she doesn want you to use the internet unless you come over and do her housekeeping get your own or use the ones at the library which are free to use.

I am not sure what you have actually said is verbal abuse so much as you not being teated as a young woman who can stand on her own two feet.

My children will use various things of ours including the computer/printer simply because ours is better. They do not have to do anything. They will do something now and then if we need a hand but it is never a condition of them using something.

If you want her to treat you as n adult seperate person who can stand on her own two feet, you need to act like one.

I will ask if you know if she has seen a doctor recently because it sounds a little like role reversal, the child is now caring for the parent. This maybe you just not letting go of
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• So get your own fucking internet, and let her rot.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• You have your own place whay are you over there doing all of this stuff in the first place?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Don't go over there. If she is going to treat you like that then cut her off until she can treat you better.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Yes this is verbal abuse if you say something now it will only get worse. Do not take it. Good Luck Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Has she always been like this?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• If you don't say something now.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• It sounds like your mother is still speaking to you as if you were a child. Is this a new thing, or has she always been inclined to do it?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• Dardenella, well I forgot to add that I come over a lot for personal reasons like internet usage. I will add that so it wont look like I'm trying to be one-sided.

Virginamama71, yes ever since I was a lil girl. One time when I was a lil girl, she got angry at me and used profanity right in front of my teacher all because I forgot a part of my science project.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Apr. 29, 2013

• It's always the same Anon with so many dramatic problems.
    Anonymous