Anyone else with herniated and torn discs?? Treatment??

I have 7 herniated discs in my back(neck and lower back). Been trying to treat the lower back. Went for an epidural steroid injection in the L3-4 disc to try an alleviate some pain and the leg numbness and weakness I have. No luck...they are going to try L2-3 this time and if that fails it is on to the Neurosurgeon.

Anyone else have herniated and torn discs?? What kind of treatment have you done and did it work?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2013 in Health

• I haven't had any luck with epidural injections either. Plus they will cause scar tissue that needs to be surgically removed. If the injections don't work after 3 treatments, they're considered a failure and you're not to continue with them (unfortunately a lot of pain clinics push them even when they don't work because of money). I've tried the TENS Unit which does help me a little bit, medication, etc.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 5:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My DH has 4 herniated discs and 2 or 3 bone spurs. He had back SG that helped but didn't cure his pain. He's looking into laser back SG now to help. He did the shots but this didn't offer him much relief.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• And you should see the Neurosurgeon!! Their first treatment isn't usually surgery!! I have worked with disc patients for years and seen great outcomes with physical therapy. Sometimes surgery is needed but personally a I'd try PT first!! The block isn't treating the cause, only the symptoms.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I've done physical therapy, they say that it is to the point it isn't going to help. I'm not going to do surgery I will listen to what he has to say though. Only way I would do surgery is if I was going to face certain paralysis or I have lost control of my bodily functions and surgery was only way to get that back.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on May. 2, 2013