What's the best pump for EPing?

I've heard good things about Medela pumps but I was just wondering what other peoples experience was for exclusive pumping.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• For exclusive pumping, Hygeia Enjoye, Ameda Purely Yours, Lansinoh Affinity or a Medela hospital grade. Accept no substitutes. And keep in mind you have to be on that pump a LOT. We're talking every two hours.

You may well be able to avoid exclusive pumping and get baby on the breast if you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My girls have all used the Medelas and have been very satisfied with them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• The best "pump" is baby. There really is no bets pump out there as you need to take into account other factors. Do you work? Do you always have a nearby outlet and privacy? (if you go electric) Is there storage close by? All that said I had an Avent manual pump. It worked much better than the hospital grade Medela electric I rented at a fraction of the cost.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Ideally, you should be able to feed the baby from the source. That being said, I have a friend who could never get her son to latch properly no matter what she did, so she pumped for the first year. She used a Medela Pump In Style and was able to get more milk than she was ever able to use.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I work and go to school plus both of my kids have needed something mixed in for extra calories, to break down the lactose, to help with persistent severe reflux. Both of mine have been small babies who needed smaller nipples then mine are and I tend to have a VERY strong let down that tends to at least gag(at worst my son aspirated twice) if not spray them in the face with milk. Generally pumping just works best for us.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• well then you gotta consider the availability of electrical outlets and privacy if you go electric and either way you have to have some sort of refrigeration to store what you pump out. Manual pumps work just as well no outlet needed and are often quieter so people don't know what you are doing.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Brand isn't really a big deal, but for exclusive pumping, you'll want an electric or battery-powered moel, and one you can put on both breasts at once. If you pump for a year, you'll spend about three weeks on the machine, twenty minutes at a time. If I had it to do again, I'd invest in the hands free model with the battery-operated pump that you can wear while you do other things.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 AM on May. 1, 2013