What can cause insomnia?

I've always had trouble falling asleep at night, but usually once I was asleep I could sleep soundly for the entire night. For a while now, I find myself waking up several times during the night and having lots of trouble falling back to sleep. This morning I woke up at 5am and lay awake until 7am (when i had to get up anyway). What can be causing this?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 9:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Health

• As stated above, anything and everything could be causing your sleeplessness. If it goes on for 2 weeks or longer you may want to purchase an OTC sleep aid. Just buy the store brand, which contain the same ingredients as the brand name, and work just as well. Also, the OTC sleep aids are non-habit forming so you can use them when you need them.
    Meanwhile, look into what is going on in your life - emotional, physical, and relational. Is there anything you need to work on or resolve? Are you stuck in a rut and need to add something new to your schedule? There are many interesting hobbies and activities for you to become active in, even with your children.
    I wish you well!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:39 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• In my psych class they said alot of things can cause insomnia. One big one is anxiety and stress. If you have alot on your mind then you could be waking up at night and unable to fall asleep because youre thinking about the things you have to do, stressful things, or are anxious about something. There are alot of things you can do to help with insomnia. One is not drinking anything with caffeine after 5pm. Try a relaxing math and chamomile tea before bed. You can also take melatonin which helps release the natural chemicals in your brain to help you sleep. If none of it helps then you need to see a doctor.

Answer by gemgem at 9:24 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ANything and everything. Stress, hormones, illness, noise, lots of brain activity, spine out of whack, headaches,....you name it, it can cause insomnia. I take ambien because I couldn't deal anymore with not being able to shut my mind down. Once I am asleep, I am okay until morning.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have trouble getting to, staying, and if necessary , returning to sleep. I assume it's because I have alot of anxiety. Maybe you are so busy during the day, it's hard to unwind? I have to take Ativan. I can't take Melatonin any more, as it seems to cause me headaches. (could be a coincidence, not sure)
    Heartlight617

Answer by Heartlight617 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 17, 2009