Is it common to keep in touch with ex-boyfriends?

Is this a phenomenon? Am I missing something? It seems that there are a lot of women that will keep talking to ex boyfriends. Am I alone in not seeing the point of continuing any type of relationship with an ex (except in the case of sharing a child)? I've always just been done with them by the time a break up happens. No need to drag the drama and emotions out. Just cut them loose.

That said, an ex friend requested me on FB and I accepted him, but we don't message each other or anything. Not even sure why he friend requested me. He's got a cute family. I'm happy for him. I know we would have been an awful match for marriage. Soooooo glad we didn't go there. But all in all, we don't have much reason to talk.

Am I the only one that just doesn't see the point?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:39 AM on Apr. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• I only keep in touch with one. I have known him since we were 14. We were together for 4 years and he was there for me through some of my worse times. We've both moved on and have had families.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Eh I would say it depends on the ex. Out of all my ex boyfriends I keep in contact with 2. Just a quick facebook note here and there (usually on their birthday or birth of a kid) or a call once in a blue moon. Then again we were friends before dating and the reason we broke up was on mutual terms because we felt we were better friends than as a couple. So I would say it depends on the ex and the terms behind the breakup.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I just recently have been in contact with old high school friends, after 42 years we have found each other again and often get together and have fun. But there was a guy who had a crush on me, we dated a few times nothing of a relationship and now after 42 years, he contacts me, just to share stories of how our lives turned out. And would you believe that after 41 years of a happy marriage my husband is jealous of this!!!!! He lives in Spain and is married with children, his wife he tells me knows about me, I must have made an impression!!! There is really no point except to see how we turned out....

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• They exes I was friends with first I have stayed in touch with, because they're friends and while I don't want to date them I do care about them

Answer by missanc at 11:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I am friends with one ex-boyfriend and that's because we were friends before we dated. We both accepted a long time ago that we are better as friends than a couple, and there's no doubt or confusion for us or any potential romantic partners.

In general, most of my other ex-boyfriends and my ex-husband, I pretty much hated by the time we broke up. Well, hated might not be quite the right word - I just had no desire to continue any kind of relationship with them when it was over. Sometimes it was because the relationship/break up was acrimonious, others it was because we had nothing in common.

I think some people can do it, and some can't. And there's nothing wrong with either of those kinds of people.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Like others have said I have stayed in touch with a few exes because we were friends before we dated and we ended on good terms. We have stayed friends and that is all. I see no reason to give up a good friend just because we didn't work out as more.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I suppose it would make sense depending on the reason why they broke up. If they made better friends than girlfriend/boyfriend, I could understand why they would go back to being friends.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I only talk to ex-boyfriends if it's clear that both of us have moved on, and there aren't any residual feelings.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I guess it would depend. DD dated some of her good friends and they realized it wasn't a good pairing but they are still friends. The couples get together often.
    I had a few like that as well until I moved far away and simply lost touch. DH is friends with his exs from high school and the chat occasionally.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I'd say NO. If you have children different story.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2013