Mom Sets New World Record by Delivering Twins 87 Days Apart

According to the Mirror, mom Maria Jones-Elliott's pregnancy was going smoothly until about halfway through her 23rd week. That's when her water broke, and she went into labor. She told the paper, "The doctors told me there was very little hope of them surviving as they were so premature."

After two days of labor at a hospital in Ireland, their daughter Amy was born, weighing just 1 pound, 3 ounces. She was rushed to intensive care, as Amy prepared to give birth to her second daughter. Then, somehow, her contractions just stopped.

The doctors said they had never seen anything like it. It should have been a joyful time but it was horrific. I had one baby in intensive care and one inside me, clinging to life. They tried to induce me the next day but nothing happened. Eventually Chris and I said enough is enough. Let nature take its course.

Nature's course took longer than anyone could have anticipated. While Amy fought for her life, Maria prayed and was determined to bring both of her daughters home. The first time she was able to hold Amy was five weeks after she was born, she said immediately Katie started reacting in her womb, "as if she knew."

Every day she says she waited for labor to come on again, but for 86 days she didn't, and Katie kept on growing and thriving in utero while her sister did the same in the hospital. Finally on August 27, when Maria was just over 36 weeks along, doctors induced, and Katie was born weighing 5 pounds, 10 ounces. Two hours later the twins were reunited. Maria told the paper:

The nurse took Katie and put her in the incubator, facing her sister as they slept, and Amy immediately smiled. There was no doubt that they recognized each other.

This story gives me chills. Having had a premature baby weighing just 1 pound 15 ounces, and having spent three months in the hospital with him after his birth, I simply can't imagine doing it all while I was pregnant and worried about another baby. Maria and her husband call their births miraculous, and I don't disagree nor do I discount the incredible determination and positive attitude this family seemingly showed. It's an amazing, amazing story, and it's incredible that both girls are healthy today.

My favorite part of the story is that they will both get celebrate their birthdays on different days -- in different months even. Amy's is June 1, and Katie's is August 27. I'm sure they'll celebrate every day in between as well.

Can you imagine waiting this long between the births of twins?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor Katie!! Amy is going to give her crap their whole lives that she is the "big sister"!! LOL

But what an amazing story!!! Endings like that just make you feel good all over... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• What a happy ending! I can't imagine the stress she must have been under!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Wow, just wow. When I read the subject of the post, I thought no way! Must be from a tabloid or something. Then I started reading the story, and it didn't seem like it would end well. I'm so glad there's a happy family now that all the dust has settled.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• that is really neat. my only question is if her water broke when she gave birth to the first twin, how did the other baby survive in the womb? and how did mom not get a severe infection?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• That was my thought as well tnm. How did the baby survive in the womb after the water broke? That is crazy.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Amazing
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2013

• What a beautiful ending to an amazing story!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• beautiful story
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• That's awesome. However this is one world record I doubt anyone will be trying to break. At least not on purpose.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Maybe they had different wombs? Rare but possible.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2013