Living in Southern California, HOW do you do it, with kids?

Contemplating a move with my family and 6 kids to Southern California. Curious though while looking for rental houses in the area about how most families survive. Rents being $2500 or more for a 3bdrm, is there a trick to living? Do both parents have to work? Do both parents have to be paid extremely high? Does one parent stay home, while the other works? I also could not imagine daycare being cheap at all.

What's the trick if there happens to be one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• You have to make bank, even hood apartments are expensive lol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• "You have to make bank, even hood apartments are expensive lol." Do you think for "Bank" it really is just made up of [Lawyers, Plastic Suregons, Doctors, Directors, Actors/Actresses, etc...] I mean some houses on Venice are $8,000 a month plus, no normal J.O.B is going to cover that...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• So why move there?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• That's it normal jobs don't cover it, that's why so many people still live with family or multiple people in a two bedroom apartment a " normal" job really won't cover expenses. Utilities are outrageous and finding an apartment -house that will include even a few is hard.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

-- Your so right, you'd really have to know exactly how your going to pull it all off or your just gonna fall into the same route as so many others, just makin' it by barley. Great Answer, Great Insight.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• We left California when our kids were little- because it is so freaking expensive

up in Northern california many people occupy one apartment- we had 6 or 8 adults in the one next to us
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Is a job transferring your family there?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Where will you be working? Venice is not a place where families live, really. Closer to the beach, the more you will pay. So look inland. What career are we talking about for whichever partner will be working?

Need MUCH more accurate info from you. I live in Temecula, in Riverside County. We have LOADS of SAH moms here with large families. I'm not one of them, but my son was in after school care for a few years. He's 13 now, so no child care now.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:02 AM on May. 1, 2013

• We are up in Sacramento, CA. Our rent is $1900 a month. My husband's military income barely allows us to pay bills and thats about it. There is no SAHM here in my honest opinion unless your hubby is getting paid really well. I work from home and make twice as much as my hubby now which is soooo much better than when I was a SAHM. I cannot imagine living down south. My mom cannot afford rent here so she stays downstairs.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 7:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2013