If you have enough space in the oven?

Would you be able to bake some meat and potatoes and even a cake or does that throw off the heat in the oven?

Sometimes we just want to get the cooking done as soon as possible I usually wait and take my time but I was just curious if anyone has ever done this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You have to consider the air flow through your oven. Too much at once will cause hot and cold spots thus uneven baking. I personally would never cook sweet and savory together. I frequently do a meat and vegatables together. Taking veggies out later and adding rolls. The cake I would do alone to avoid any crossover of flavors.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:33 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I've baked potatoes and a casserole at the same time, or I've had two or three casseroles in at the same time. I've never tried doing a cake with anything else. You could try something in one pan and see how it works. I do know that heat distribution is more important when baking.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You could put the meat and the potatoes in at the same time... But I wouldn't do a cake at the same time . Cakes need all around temperature. And a different temperature too. I would be afraid the cake would taste like meat.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I agree with louise2
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You know Ive never put in a cake, BUT I put in a pan of cornbread in with a big Anything" next to it it bakes an looks probly better cooked than when its in the oven alone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If you put too much in, you'll constrict the airflow, thus throwing off the even heating, which is what an oven is basically for. Different foods would be in the oven for different lengths of time...that means you are opening the oven repeatedly, which also throws off the accuracy of the temperature setting. Also, if you put something like a cake in with meat, the cake will absorb flavors from the meat, especially if you are using any aromatics, like onions. You can certainly bake or roast more than one thing at a time, but you need to plan it out a little, rotate their location half way through, and don't mix something like cake with meat.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• On holidays when I have a lot to bake I put turkey, ham, green bean casserole, baked potato casserole, and baked sweet potato caserole all in at the same time. I wouldn't put a cake in because it is more sensitive to temperatures, and I wouldn't put a pie in because it needs higher heat than anything else. I'd say that I would put a cake in the same oven if the meat is in a covered pan and has been cooking for a while,and if there was plenty of air space around the cake, and the required temperature was the same, that I'd put the cake in at the same time. Say a quick bread, for example.

Answer by Bmat at 2:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2009