If your child is invited to a birthday party for a classmate

and you don't really know the classmate or their parents, do you bring your child's siblings to the party also or try to only bring your child?

when it's a party for someone i know really well i always bring all of my kids, and i always let my friends with more than one child know that all of their children are invited to our birthday parties. im just not sure the etiquette when you don't know the family.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2013 in General Parenting

• If I really don't know them the child that is invited is the only one that will go.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Only the child invited goes in this case. It's different with close friends and relatives.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I bring the child who was INVITED. I would be pissed if people showed up with a bunch of kids I didn't invite and hadn't planed on!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• If the invitation is for my child, I onkly bring my child. If the family is included I will also bring my family.
    If I know the mother I might call and ask if she would mind if I brought the younger sibling but probably not.
    I think it is rude to expect that they family who is host 20-30 kids and providing treats and goodies would just have extra for however many children tag along.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I would only take the child who was invited. When I had my daughter's fifth birthday party a few months ago, two families brought younger siblings of her classmates. I wasn't expecting them, and I didn't really know what to do with them because they were boys and the goody bags were full of girlie stuff. I let them join in the games and have cake, but I felt bad I didn't have appropriate treats for them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I only bring the child who is invited. Once when I had to bring both I RSVPed that I had no one to watch my LO and let them know I did not expect them to treat her as part of the party, I would cover all her charges- it was at a putt-putt place.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I will bring the child that was invited. In the event that I don't have someone to watch my other child, I take the uninvited with me and we usually do our own thing while the party is going on. Now that they are a little older I just drop them at a party and come back to pick them up when it's over.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• It is very rude to bring extra kids to any party regardless of how well you know them. If they are all invited, thats fine, but to expect to be able to bring your other kids?!? people invite a certain # of kids, and plan accordingly, cake/food, or a play place is $ based on per kid.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Only the child that was invited.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Only the child who is invited goes to the party IN ALL CASES. It's rude to saddle other people with your other kids if they're not invited. How are you expected to know how many kids to cater for? How can you plan games for one age group if much younger kids turn up. How do you ensure the safety of 20 kids when you only planned on 8?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:01 AM on May. 1, 2013