I have a ridiculous phobia of bees, and now my sons scared too :(

I tried, REALLY tried not to show my fear of bees around my son. But apparently not well enough, cuz now he won't go outside... AT ALL! I guess I'm just a big baby but I can't help it, if there's a bee nearby I'm running like someones gonna murder me. And I used to believe in that whole "if you don't bother them they won't bother you" until I saw my mom get stung for no good reason. I understand the only real way to fix this is having me get over my fear first but I don't see that happening any time soon. Any advice here? :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you allergic?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I'm the same but I'm deathly allergic :( my kids aren't scared of them though.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• You might try hypnotherapy.
    I am afraid of wasps for a very good reason, I am allergic. However I also know that the likelihood of them stinging me is very swall. Bees also usually do not bother anyone that does not smell like flowers.
    Yellow jackets, that is a whole nother story.
    I will go to extremes to kill yellow jackets.

I also suffer from vertigo. Bridges are my downfall. I can not avoid them and I could not have my kids terrified either. I worked my way through. I made myself breathe and face them each and every time. You make your own choice of what legacies you will leave with your kids.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My mom is deathly afraid of water - she will not take a shower, she had to lean over the side of the tub to wash her hair! And heights, amusement park rides and dentists. However I never knew any of this until I was a teen. She started me in swim lessons when I was 3. I would work really hard to hide your fears for the sake of your son.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• See I am allergic. I swell up. I am wary of them but I do not fear them like you do. You have a fobea.

Answer by louise2 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I have the same phobia and I have gotten better with it, But when I was young I use tell people I was allergic to them so they would understand why I was scared. But now I realize my brain thinks I'm in real danger and it sends me into panic mode. I'm thankful my DD has taken the opposite approach and knows even if they sting you won't die. I still eat BBQ inside and rarely eat at picnics. It helps if they are near to keep telling your self you are not going to die you are not going to die. By the way it is a real phobia and can be diagnosed. Also I am not afraid of anything else, bugs heights bears and so on. I feel you...
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 8:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I am too, but I am also allergic to them so it makes sense to me. D got stung by a wasp once and is a little scared now, but not really. I wish I had advice, but I don't know what to tell you.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I wish I knew what to tell you. I get pretty nervous when there are high winds, mostly because I can't see and it's hard for me to hear when the wind blows as well. I've tried really hard to keep that fear from my daughter, so far successfully. But now that your son is afraid, I'm not sure. Has he been stung before?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• My son & I pet Bumble Bees. You are probably scared of yellow jacket wasps. Those & other wasps are really the only ones that are aggressive unless you bother a hive. I have no phobias but I know people who do. My BIL is afraid of everything. I wonder what it stems from. Maybe his Mom was like you. I'd try hypnotherapy like Dardenella suggested. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I thought the way I spelt phobia looked wrong. The f,, ph thing got me.

Answer by louise2 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2013