What could have gone wrong with my meatloaf?

I feel kind of stupid asking this because I've fixed meatloaf dozens of times over the last twenty-some years, and I always thought it was one of those recipes that was impossible to mess up. Hamburger, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, a smidge of mustard, done. The flavor was okay, but this time the meatloaf turned out really soft and mushy. I got distracted while I was making it because my preschooler wanted to water the plants. First she yelled from outside, and I couldn't hear what she said, but the word "emergency" was perfectly clear. So I ran out and discovered she just couldn't find the watering jug, and we had a chat about what "emergency" means and how it isn't a word to be used without a good reason, like blood or a fire. Then she tried to fill the watering can and it had a big crack in it, so we had to clean up a trail of water across the kitchen floor. Anyway, long story short, I must have left something out of the meatloaf or put something in twice, or not held my mouth right. Any ideas what I might have done?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Soft and Mushy means it was too moist and had an overabundance of wet ingredients. Or perhaps you forgot to add the breadcrumbs due to the distraction (personally we prefer oats as they have a thicker texture and it's harder to mistake if we've added them or not)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Too many eggs. Not enough bread crumbs. Too greasy of meat. Or a combination of all
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• You could have had a high fat to lean ratio than usual or used larger eggs or even added more tomato sauce than usual.
    I have done this myself. As long as it tastes good I am ok with my "failures" lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Not enough breadcrumbs? I don't know.
    My husband makes the easiest, tastiest meatloaf I've tried. 90/10 ground beef, a can of pumpkin, and steel cut oats. So easy, moist, and never greasy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Here is my recipe....a pound of hamburger meat,a vidalia onion,a smidge of hot sauce,ketchup,one egg,and I use crackers,Pepper no salt cause the crackers provide the salt.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• I'm thinking you accidentally added extra liquid. Was it better than if it were dried out?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2013

• Too many onions can add extra moisture to it or too much tomato sauce. Maybe she added water to it while she was refilling the watering can? No one's really gonna know. Just make it again.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:09 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Depends on the meat you were starting with and how many eggs to how much meat. If it was high fat content and you are used to using something that is leaner, then that could be the case. Also, it usually says on the package how much saline was added to the meat as well, which could affect the texture and moisture content. Those would be my first guesses.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:53 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Did you change the size of eggs that you buy?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:15 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I'd go with not enough breadcrumbs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on May. 1, 2013