Food dye reactions and coloring made from beetles

Yellow dye causes allergic reactions and Starbucks coloring made from crushed up beetles? Just more reason to cook your own food and know what you're eating. What is so hard about using beets for coloring instead?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57573286/food-bloggers-start-petition-to-drop-yellow-dyes-from-kraft-mac-cheese/

Starbucks story link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57416891-10391704/starbucks-to-phase-out-bug-based-dyes-from-6-food-drink-items/

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 4:32 AM on May. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• My cousin's little boy gets terrible skin rashes from some of the red and yellow dyes. I try not to think too much about the awful substances in what I eat because I wouldn't want to eat anything if I gave it too much thought, but I do have to wonder why we need so many dyes in our food at all. Why can't we just eat things in their natural color?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:35 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I didn't read the links but I can say from experience that blue & red dyes make my Son anxious & irritable in about an hour after he eats or drinks a juice with those dyes. His prescription vitamin was purple & he also had a reaction to that when it was changed (different manufacturer). Juicy Juice (the blue/red one) in the box made him bounce off the walls & cry.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:51 AM on May. 1, 2013

• some people may have a reaction to the beetles, but at least that is a natural substance
    now let's chat about the joys of LAKE dyes

not today, i do not have the energy
    google red 40 -us fda loves to say this is safe
    then read form another other site

good morning life
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:01 AM on May. 1, 2013

• I would actually prefer made from clean crushed beetle shells to the artificial dyes made from a petroleum base.

and MOST food use artificial dyes that are banned in many other countries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on May. 1, 2013

• I wouldn't mind it from the beetles. It's natural, but, Starbucks doesn't use it any more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on May. 1, 2013

• i dont eat or drink at starbucks, and thus far in my 26 years and my girls' lives they've never had a reaction from kraft mac and cheese, but if they did i wouldn't buy it! i dont understand the need to ban everything. if you don't like something or if something gives you or your child a reaction, ban it from your own life. no need to go on a crusade.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:54 AM on May. 1, 2013

• then read from any other site

better ^
    seems two and half hours sleep does not help with the typing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:14 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Yeah, this reminds me how how harshly Pepsi Clear was dumped just because it removed the caramel dye...but it was the exact same cola recipe! I thought Pepsi Clear was a godsend because if you spilled it, it would be easier to clean up and wouldn't leave a residue in your teeth either. We have to choose products that promote natural ingredients and less toxic substances.
    hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 4:19 AM on May. 2, 2013