Hard Drive and Enclosure Question

My HP G7 1219wm died Monday. The CPU is dead. I have a Western Digital Elements (1tb) external hard drive, and I was wondering if I could just take it apart and put the hard drive from my laptop in it in order to get the stuff off it. TIA

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 8:14 AM on May. 1, 2013 in Technology

• I think your laptop has to be running to be able to move files/folders to your external hard drive.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:36 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Yes, it does. But I was talking about taking the hard drive OUT of the computer altogether, putting it in an enclosure for an external hard drive, and hooking it up to the working laptop through the usb port. I was just wondering about the compatibility of using the hardware already present in my external hard drive's case. I just discovered that it will not work, as it is not a SATA hard drive in there, but some kind of usb connection welded to the darn thing.
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 4:05 PM on May. 2, 2013