I think i just found lice in my 3 year old's hair!

i was combing it and i saw a little brown bug in her hair. at first i thought it was a flea, but it didn't jump away like a flea normally would when you comb over it. it kept moving but it was like attached to her scalp. i almost had it at one point and then i lost it. i dont know if it's still in her hair or not! and i only saw one which is the weird part. i never saw any eggs in her hair and i comb it daily. gah i feel like they are crawling all over ME now. i just dyed my hair yesterday so i hope if i did have it that that killed them LOL! i need to shake off the heeby jeeby's and go through her hair again because im pretty sure it was lice- i googled and looked up lice images and it looked just like it. ahhh ive never dealt with this before! i know i need to wash all the bedding, but i have two other daughters as well, one of which is on a field trip today with her school. as far as the combs and brushes, do i simply boil them or do i add bleach to the water? and again, i only saw ONE lice and i checked her head the best i could but her hair is dark brown so i couldn't find anything else. i also just washed and combed my 4 year old's hair just before hers and i didn't see anything.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Aren't lice white? It's been years since my kids have had them.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:01 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Maybe it was a tick?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:07 AM on May. 1, 2013

• i think the knits (eggs) are white
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:11 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Lice are brownish. Id say just do the treatment right away. Just to be sure.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:21 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Check around the ears and neckline
    Boiling will be fine
    Its the high heat
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:22 AM on May. 1, 2013

• I'd wash the bedding and jackets and hats, boil the combs and brushes, and treat all of your daughters with the medicated shampoo just in case. Pain in the neck, yes, but a bit of proactive effort now could save you a ton of trouble if the lice get a good hold on your kids. I got them from a public laundromat once and ended up having to get my hair cut short, and my husband at the time had to even shave his beard.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:27 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I found one in my sons hair and immediately had my husband cut his hair short while I went to the store for treatment supplies. I did his and my other two kids' hair plus my own only because we had had a full on wrestling match that night and I was paranoid! lol Strip all the bedding and wash on the highest heat possible. Poor girl! I still don't know where he got it from, I have an idea, but thankfully nobody else had a problem. You have to act FAST! I felt like a terrible mom...even posted on here about it...but you just have to realize that you can not control these things!! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:49 AM on May. 2, 2013