Cheating

Do you think a marriage can survive if the spouse cheated once? They were fighting and things were really bad between them and she cheated and she knows it was totally out of character and would never happen again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband cheated on me only once. I dont believe once a cheater always a cheater. People go through rough times and if they truly love eachother they can make it work. Me and my husband are working through it. Its really hard work but we both want to make it work and want our family to stay in tact.
    Anonymous

• I believe once a cheater, always a cheater. If she went outside the marriage because things were hard, she will do it again. Maybe not soon but eventually. I do not think a marriage can survive. Maybe if they have an open relationship but then at that point, it's not really cheating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If the spouse that was cheated on, if he is will to forgive the wife and stay and work it out ,,yes it can work. But if he can't deal with a cheating wife. It won't work. IMO,,, the cheater has know say in if they stay together or break up.

Answer by louise2 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think if the cheater is sincerely repentant and makes a commitment to NEVER do it again, the couple goes to counseling to work through trust issues and the spouse that was cheated on will forgive and get past the broken trust, yes, it can work. It won't work at all if the cheater is unrepentant and basically acts like the person cheated on needs to just get over it.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i dunno this is a tough question.. i think yes it can work out if both are TRULY willing to work on it. . ..but it takes time. . .& the person who cheated needs to own up to & stop making excuses. . .
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I read where if a man cheats the marriage has a chance of staying together and even being stronger but if a woman cheats a man is usually done with her and will never forgive or forget. More marriages end when a w cheats on a h than if a h cheats on a w. A man holds a woman to a higher standard and once she breaks his trust bond he's not willing to mend that broken fence. Sorry. (that's not my opinion, that's statistical)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009