What needs to be moved before carpets get cleaned?

I know rugs, and smaller stuff needs to be cleared off the floor - but does big furniture like sofas and tables need to be moved too? Need to get these carpets cleaned ASAP. Just wondering, thanks.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 10:52 AM on May. 1, 2013 in Home & Garden

• From what I recall, they will move large furniture around a little and when they put it back in place they usually put little plastic squares under the feet to make sure that the moisture doesn't damage the wood feet or cause staining from either wood or metal on damp carpet. Not sure about heavy objects though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on May. 1, 2013

• I don't completely move my sofa, but I have them clean in front and behind sofa. Just a matter of moving it fwd. then backward.
    I don't remove my entertainment center because it's huge!
    I left dining room table but put the chairs on top.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:55 AM on May. 1, 2013

• if you are getting them done professionally I think it depends on the place, some places move the furniture and put it back. When I rented a rug dr I just moved the easy movable stuff and left the sofa (Ok I pulled it back a little to get like under the edge of the sofa)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:12 PM on May. 1, 2013

• If you want it done right then yes everything
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 PM on May. 1, 2013

• If I were having my living room done I would remove my sofa, recliner, desk and small tables but leave my entertainment center because it's just too large and labor intensive to move (with all the electronics, wires, etc.). But my parents own a carpet cleaner and I do my own, so maybe it's different.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on May. 1, 2013