Another child dies because of a parents careless actions, leaving a loaded gun in access of a child

The State Medical Examiner's Office in Louisville is expected to perform an autopsy Wednesday on a two-year old girl. Police say the toddler was shot by her five-year old brother.

The shooting happened on Tuesday afternoon inside a home on Lawson's Bottom Road, near Burkesville.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT that he was called to the hospital by emergency room doctors. White says the doctors worked on Caroline Starks for an hour to revive her, but were unsuccessful.

Police say the Stark's brother accidentally shot her with a rifle that was given to him as a gift and that it was kept in the corner of a room. According to police, the gun was loaded.

White says that the children's mother was home at the time of the accident.

"She was actually cleaning her house, and she had went out on the porch. She said no more than three minutes had went by and she actually heard the rifle go off. She ran back in and found the little girl," White said.

The coroner says that the boy is used to shooting the gun, and that the boy often goes shooting with his father on their property.

First off who the hell gives a 5 year old a real gun? 2nd how stupid can you get just leaving a loaded gun laying around in the first place?!  My heart breaks for this 5 yr old child. He will forever have to live with the fact he killed his sister because he's parents were careless.... 

Do you think the parents should be charged?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:52 AM on May. 1, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG a 5 y/o shooting. This is why I hate guns!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2013

• because of a parents careless actions

It is not the gun It is as stated, because of the PARENT's careless actions.

IMO yes the parents should be charged and convicted..
    This was just plain and simple negligence.
    The rifle should have been unloaded and securely locked up, if it was not in use.
    I don't leave my nice razor sharp kitchen knives in the living room with my 2 year old DGD. Heck I do not leave them there at all. The answer is that they do not belong there and it is dangerous. Heck my dog could try to lick it or eat it.

It is called criminal negligence
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:09 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader the boy received the .22-caliber rifle as a gift and is used to shooting it. He said the rifle was kept in a corner and the family didn't realize a shell was left inside it.

^^  This part of the article says a lot about how this happened.  

Do I think they should be charged?  With something, but not with homicide.  And how do you punish the parents without it having a huge impact on the surviving child?  I honestly don't know the right decision when it comes to this.  How very sad for everyone involved.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2013

• Someone actually gave a five-year-old a real rifle as a gift? There's stupid, and then there's a special kind of stupid. Maybe a twelve-year-old, with a gun safety course included. Sounds like the parents needed the gun safety course as well. My first thought was that they should be charged at least with endangerment or something, but like QM says, what would happen to the little boy? First he shoots his sister, then is parents are taken away? And realistically, society can't do anything worse to those parents than they've already done to themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:03 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I think they should be charged with something. They did something wrong and it caused the death of their little girl. They should have some sort of consequence for that.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 12:13 PM on May. 1, 2013

• The parents are the adults here and by being so, it is their responsibility to check and lock a gun up, away from children.
    The parents should be charged with negligent homicide!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:22 PM on May. 1, 2013

• THIS is why I hate guns and the idea of having them so much.
    I get so tired of hearing about kids getting them.

Adults are so incredibly stupid...*sigh*
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:11 PM on May. 1, 2013

• We always learn something from these incidents.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:10 PM on May. 1, 2013

• "It is called criminal negligence..." Answer by Dardenella
    No, it would be gross negligence, and that still would be stretching things in a legal aspect. But more in likely it will be ruled as accidental. But
    there is nothing the criminal justice system can do to them that they are not doing to themselves already. They will be in their own "prison" of their own making. And more in likely the marriage will end up in a divorce, and the 5 yr old will always live with the fact he took a life.
    And I wonder who's bright idea it was to give a 5 yr old kid a gun?! Good god someone needs their heads examined!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:17 AM on May. 2, 2013

• This is just sickening and sad & STUPID...I just can't even wrap my head around this one. Who gives a 5 year old a gun AND leaves it LOADED IN HIS ROOM!!!! Where is the LAW against that!!!!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 3:10 AM on May. 2, 2013