• In the Spotlight:

Hand sucker

I am lost on this, since my first child never did this..any suggestions will be appreciated, but please no bashing..

So my son is about 6 months old and he is a hand sucked, biter whatever you want to call it..he sucks and bites on left hand on the ring and middle fingers..he has now nawed on it that it is raw and blistered..i hate pacifers but we have been trying to give it to him and he really doesn't want it...I have started to take a sock and tape it around his hand so he can't bite on it...but he wont eat with the sock on, cause he usually takes a bite and sucks on his fingers and then takes another bite and soo on..I have no clue what to do..he doesn't have a dr. appt until next Tuesday..any sugggestions till then?

AProudUSMCWife

Asked by AProudUSMCWife at 10:18 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No suggestions. My daughter is 4 and she still sucks two of her fingers. I wish I had broken her when she was a baby, because it's pretty much impossible now.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My grandson sucked on the side of his wrist from the day he was born..actually I have an US pic of him doing it at 30 weeks in utero. Anyway, the area would blister up. Dr said put long sleeves. When he couldn't get to the area he would just scream, not eat and be miserable. He never took a pacifier. Eventually the area built up a callus. He is now four and I had resigned myself to the fact he was probably going to suck it even in kindergarten. One thing, he sucked it from birth but it became worse when the events that lead the kids to be living with us happened.
    Cont'd

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The frequency did decrease eventually to when he was tired, going to bed or when he was stressed or anxious. Over the summer he just stopped. We don't know why..but he did, literally one day, just stop. my mom told me my sister sucked her fingers until she was 5..and just stopped too. It is a self comforting mechanism. The more you discourage it or try to stop it the stronger the need for it becomes. I would let it go. It will work itself out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

• My niece is 18 mos and sucks her fingers too. Shes been doing it since she was born and her older brother was a thumb sucker. There was nothing my SIL could do and now she just does it at naptime. They do eventually outgrow it. Just be patient.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• LOL. @ the sock hahaha. How about a toothing ring? Maybe he just like the "squishyness" of his hand.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 11:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Thank you ladies for the ideas...he has teething rings which sometimes he wants and other times not..he does have 2 teeth and I put the socks on cause he now has caused his hands to bleed..
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 5:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009