Why are so many christians not only very judgmental, but also very closed minded?

By this I mean that I have had *conversations* in many places, public and not here on CM, and during those conversations I would present actual evidence, factual, logical reasoning. This would/will be completely ignored while I am chastised for not *believing in jesus* or reading the bible, or best of all- *JUST HAVE FAITH*!!! WHY- honestly I DO NOT UNDERSTAND- how can people believe this garbage without questioning, looking, learning. When looked at with open eyes- none of it adds up. And people don't *need* god- I get along just fine. I have a happy healthy family and as bumps in life's road appear- I deal with them with my own personal inner strength. And no- it isn't god acting through me or for me. I really don't understand how people can be so closed off to evidence. Can anyone help me out here? No circular logic please. And don't use the bible as a resource. It is a novel. And not a very good one at that.

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We hear from many believers that they have god in their heart, mind or whatever, they feel him and they hear him. Well to me that pretty much sums it all up, if you hear voices in your head then dont expect everybody else to. Religion is the biggest delusion experienced by human kind only because we do not have answers for everything and we think life is too complicated plus we like to be loved, noticed and acknowledged so we make up this creature or creatures in the sky to give us the security blankie. Feels good doesnt it? It is not who created us but why the heck did we create IT?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 7:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I am also tired both of christians using anon to post and answer, and then deleting their responses when called on their bs...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It sounds like you have been bringing up the subject of religion to people who would rather keep their opinions to themselves and not have you call them out on every detail.

I am not of any religion, and I have my own beliefs, but I wouldn't sit there and try to convert, or even call out the facts to somebody who has chosen to believe in what they want to believe in.

It seems to me as though you are bored, and are looking for a fight.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 10:43 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You may not *need* God, but I certainly do. If you don't then more power to you, but you shouldn't lump us all together because of a few conversations you've had.

Just as you don't want our religion forced on you, then please don't try to *fix* us who do have faith, who do believe in God, and want to continue living our lives the way WE want.

I'm sorry to say, but YOU are the one sounding incredibly judgmental towards all Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Wow.

Ok, dial it back.

"how can people believe this garbage without questioning"....is not exactly the right tone to strike.

Believe what you want, it's no skin off MY nose. But please don't call my faith garbage.

Thanks.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Who's judging who here? I do not feel that you are a bad person for not believing in God, though I believe whole heartedly. Why is it that you feel we haven't researched, questioned, and learned information in the pursuit of our faith? I have done all of those things and my educated conclusion is that there is a loving, all knowing, all accepting God who is my one and only saviour! You are the close-minded one in this question. Some day you will see that.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 11:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am a Christian and one of my best friends is Atheist. She knows how I feel about God, and I know how she feels. I do not judge her or condemn her in any way. She does not judge me. We all have the choice to believe or not believe. It is MY choice to believe and YOUR choice not to believe. I do not believe it is right to try and cram anything down someone's throat. Whether it be reasons to believe or reasons not to believe. I do, however, believe that (and please do not condemn me) it is MY duty as a Christian to live my life that is pleasing to God, so others can see Christ through me. It's up to you to make a decision.

zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am not *bringing up* a fight to people- I go to questions etc and answer just like everyone else. And I am respectful. Many of the questions seem to start off judgmental- how does it feel?Researching christianity does not consist of reading the bible and talking to your *pastor*... it involves actual FACTUAL material. I have been attacked almost every time I post something- and the facts are never responded to- or the person will question my beliefs (science) with a very limited understanding of science. How can you discount something you don't understand? Science is REAL, PROVABLE. When new information comes out- it is acknowledged and put into circulation... Christianity in general seems to want 1. to suppress any knowledge that is contrary to it's system and 2. to deny others the option of not being *christian*. I have never wanted to be a christian, and after seeing the behavior on here of those professing to be con'
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am not *bringing up* a fight to people- I go to questions etc and answer just like everyone else. And I am respectful

No, you're not.  "Garbage"?  That's not respectful.

Science is REAL, PROVABLE. When new information comes out- it is acknowledged and put into circulation...

I'm curious. What science and facts have you put out there that prove that God doesn't exist? 

It is possible to be Christian AND see all things scientific.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• *spreading the word of god (and his LOVE!) I feel justified!! I appreciate the attitudes of people like zachmom above- but unfortunately for christians- the reasonable ones don't seem to be as vocal... Sorry if I got a bit strident- I had just finished reading and attempting to post to one of the biggest offenders (journals) but it got deleted. Her post that is. She and a few others can be very rude, and will only respond to a few points and only with nonsensical diatribe. I really don't understand **FAITH IN GOD**- I still need my ? answered.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009