Food Dyes

So, as a person who can't look at what she eats, I've always been curious, and the food dye question got me thinking about it again. Why do we need dyes? Why can't we just eat foods the way they look naturally? Who says Kraft mac and cheese has to be vivid orange, and Kool-Ade has to be bright red?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:41 PM on May. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Because most people are visual. A tan looks better then fair skin and makes the person look healthier. Makeup looks better then natural skin. Color makes things look better or worse, in some cases. I think it was Heinz that who put green coloring in their ketchup. KIDS hated it, green makes you think of something gross or inedible, but it tasted EXACTLY the same as the red stuff. We are visual and marketing campaigns use it to their advantage. Red dye is horrible for us and the yellow cheese dyes, too. But, kids (who are the biggest ones they market to ) like it that way.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 4:32 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Probably some market researchers back in the 50's.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:43 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Colors seem to amaze the younger group. When I was a teenager, I worked at Subway - and there was only white American cheese. Kids would throw FITS because there wasn't orange cheese.. even when I assured them they tasted exactly the same. Weird!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:57 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I hate it! I don't care what color it is- unless the highly processed foods are all GREY and no one would eat them unless they dyed it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:02 PM on May. 1, 2013

• I have often wondered the same thing. Why is it Nurtigrain bars have no artificial colors and look fine yet pop-tarts need to ass red 40? Why does cheap ketchup have dye while I can buy all natural dye that doesn't and it looks about the same?

More interesting... *If* we do feel the need to add color, why do we need lake dyes? There is a natural alternative to every lake dye. Red, yellow, blue and any combination there in...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:36 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Right, but if you make food at home--spaghetti, for example, or meatloaf, or baked chicken--it just looks like plain old food. Or am I missing something?

^^ Well, we don't dye chicken, ground meat or spaghetti gravy. At least, not that I know of LOL Some foods are left their natural color. They just fill them full of hormones and steroids.

DYK, oranges sometimes stay green when they are ripe? They are dyed orange, so that people don't pass them over thinking they haven't fully ripened.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 3:03 AM on May. 2, 2013

Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 4:36 PM on May. 1, 2013