1yo gagging when given food.

I tried giving my DS homemade babyfood at home from 6mo-8mo, he gagged on almost all of it...
About 8mo I was curious & bought him a few jars of baby food, he ate it up with no problems....
Now he will be 1yo next week & still cannot eat anything that isnt 100% pureed..
He wont eat a mashed up avocado, mashed potatoes or banana, he will put it all in his mouth, but when he goes to swallow he gags & sometimes will even throw it back up...

Anyone experience this & have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on May. 1, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could you mash up bananas or avocado like you've been doing and then thin it down with a smidge of water or milk, and gradually make it thicker and thicker to get him used to the texture of the food? What about those fruit and veggie puffs that are sold in the baby food section? That might get him used to having something more solid in his mouth, but it will melt away before he can gag on it. What does his pediatrician say?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:52 PM on May. 1, 2013

• That sounds like a tongue thrust reflex- which all babies have that prevents them from choking. It should resolve itself when he is ready for solids- though at 12 months he should be.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:06 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Yeah, my DS was like that for a LNG time. It does get better with time (at least it did I our case), but he is still sensitive to certain textures.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:17 PM on May. 1, 2013

• That should say long time.
    QuinnMae

• You started solids too early & now you trained him to gag.
    Anonymous

• You may have a child who is extremely sensitive to texture. You may want to talk to your ped about it. There are very good therapies available to help kids with feeding issues like this one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:32 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Thin out the mashed food with breastmilk (or formula)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:44 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Anon... No... Not even close... Im a huge EBF momma, if anything I waited "too long"..... TOO Early would be 4-6mo...
    And when I say 6-8mo, I mean he got 1 bit every few weeks... He didnt start eating daily until he was 9mo+......
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 PM on May. 1, 2013

• Ballad, I may try again but at the start id puree with a bay bullet & it wasnt good enough.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on May. 1, 2013