TV shows for your kids?

I am just wondering what other Christian moms do as far as what they let their children watch? I remember my Pastor saying that if you weren't sure about a show you were watching is to think, "if Jesus were sitting next to me would I watch this?" I've let my children watch Barney and care bears. my MIL says that Barney is magic and so are care bears what do you think? I've been praying about this but I also wanted to see how other moms felt on this issue? So list shows you feel are appropriate and why? and which shows are inappropriate and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think Jesus would enjoy the learning factor and the music and joy it brings. Does your MIL not shop at a mall or Walmart because they might sell something that someone could use in a bad way? I understand not wanting your kids to see violent or gross shows, but I don't think Jesus minds us enjoying a little television in moderation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Most cartoons are appropriate in my mind. I think magic is fun!! I don't know how Barney or the carebears would be considered magic, but thats JMO.

I'm not Christian, though. I'm not being rude, but I can't believe your religion dictates what your children watch.
    Anonymous

• As a Christian mom, I think we just have to take it case by case. Never let another mom, Christian or not, influence your decision. I think if you just approach each show asking yourself if this show teaches your children the values, mannerisms, words, etc. that you like, then it's okay.

There are some shows that I may find inappropriate for my children that you might find acceptable for yours and vice versa. I think you just need to pray about it and see what God is convicting in your heart. I think once you stop listening to other moms you'll find the answers you seek.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think Jesus would wonder if the guy in the Barney costume gets all hot and gross.

Really - I think my Savior is OK with most of the stuff we do - as long as we are watching shows as a family, He's good with it.

I think your MIL needs to back up a little bit about the Care Bears - if they were REALLY magical, they wouldn't be so dumb.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:57 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• try to listen to what the show is saying to the kids listen hard to the words if you don't want your kids to pick those words up then don't let them watch. Kids need outside play mommy and daddy play and I think a bit of tv is ok but make sure you know what they are watchen.
    I like Veggie Tales, Dora and Deigo Wonder Pets For me I have a dvr so I make sure what I put on is going to be on and i have watched it with them I if I need to do some cleanning I can. You need to decide what you want your kids to watch and not watch they need to know at a sertion age what they can not watch. My 4 year old will go places and if they put a cartoon on that I have told him he can not watch He will tell them he does not like it Mommy does not like it.
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 11:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There used to be a show in the 80's called The Eagles Nest, and this guy declared EVERYTHING evil, Smurfs, Carebears, Sesame Street, you name it - if it was for kids, it was evil - and his reasoning was everything from having a black mouth makes you demonic to the care bear stare being witchcraft. And every rock album had backwards satanic messages. He'd spend entire shows playing records backwards and insisting the garbled stuff said Hail Satan.

Course, this is the same guy who insisted if you didn't send him thousands of dollars you'd go to Hell, do not pass go. I think he spent it on perms- he looked disturbingly like John Oates. Keep that in mind when you hear his "wisdom" being passed on by someone who spent a little too much time watching his shows 20 years ago.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:45 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I'm not Christian but my husband is and there is nothing wrong with cartoons, my girls loved care bears and barney when they were younger.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Jesus....have a problem with CareBears?

Puh-lease!

I doubt very seriously that Jesus would do anything other than condone childhood imagination.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:12 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I really don't think Jesus would be that "cranky". LOL. I think he would enjoy that the kids were happy. Now when I think about what my kids watch, I think about the inappropriate stuff that might come back to haunt me later. If I don't like the snobbiness or the nasty sarcasm in a show I won't let them watch it. If it shows violence in a bad way I don't let them watch it. And that sort of thing. Whether or not my kids watch magic?? Uh, no, I don't think that's a big deal. There's nothing wrong with a little imagination. That's where most of our inventions come from.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Just curious what is the difference between magical and a miracle? I allow my children to watch, experience all children's shows. I want them to form their own opinions, expand their minds and imaginations. BTW Shouldn't Jesus have better things to do, than sit and watch cartoons with your kids?
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 8:32 PM on Feb. 17, 2009