My son is going to be two next month, he has been very good at putting himself to sleep and staying a sleep until recently. All of a sudden he wont go in his crib any more with out freaking out. I used to be able to put him down and he would fall a sleep now he throws a tantrum and wants me to rock him to sleep. What gives? Is it normal for kids to regress? What can I do to put him back on schedule?

MyBoyAndrew

Asked by MyBoyAndrew at 10:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• both my kids did that, I just let them throw their fits in their cribs. I wasn't about to let them change their sleep scheduals.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i would let them throw their fits in the crib too, my 18 month old nephew does that sometimes and he stops within 5 mins
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• maybe you can change to a toddler bed? i am not speaking from experience, my daughter is only 5 1/2 months, but he may be reaching the age where he doesn't want the bars making him feel closed in? if you are frustrated and he doesn't stop over the course of 3 days or so, it might be worth a try
    december911

Answer by december911 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Is it possible that something scared him? He is reaching the age when imagination really kicks in and he may be seeing monsters. Telling him that monsters aren't real won't work. Showing him that there aren't any in his room won't work.

Does he have a nighttime protector to keep him safe and chase away the monsters? That's what I did for my daughter when she started to indicate she was afraid. I got her a stuffed dragon and he lives in her crib. His sole job is to bite any monsters he sees. (Just ask my daughter! She'll tell you all about it.) If you think that's the problem, give it a try!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Time for a real bed?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:44 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I don't think I'd call it regressing. He is actually getting more clever. Something might have scared him, but it is more likely that he just wants to stay up and spend more time with you. He is at the age where he can figure out how to achieve this. I was also thinking that it might be time for a real bed. Make it special - get him a new bed set, put his stuffed animals on it and make a big deal about how nice it is -he may look forward to going to bed.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 17, 2009