Well lets see what you all think about this, this being a "training drill" involving guns shooting blanks...

HALFWAY — Two masked men wearing hoodies and wielding handguns burst into the Pine Eagle Charter School in this tiny rural community on Friday. Students were at home for an in-service day, so the gunmen headed into a meeting room full of teachers and opened fire.

Someone figured out in a few seconds that the bullets were not drawing blood because they were blanks and the exercise was a drill, designed to test Pine Eagle's preparation for an assault by "active shooters" who were, in reality, members of the school staff. But those few seconds left everybody plenty scared.

They weren't expecting a drill like this, and they were caught by surprise when the two men entered and began firing.

Full story: Gunfire and moments of fear as a rural Oregon school tests its readiness

I have some doubts about this... Cause on one hand, it really may have helped those teachers review thier thinking and their reaction times. I like to think the school admin knew about this and made sure any teacher who had a CPL was notified to prevent a real school shooting of police officers. I don't know. But I wonder who's idea THIS was!

What about some of you? I know a few of you are teachers, what are your thoughts on this? Would it help or hurt you??? 

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:38 AM on May. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, that happened in Halfway, Or. They're lucky one of the teachers didn't have a weapon or died of a heart attack!
    The big push here in Oregon is to have teachers with a gun license to carry. A lot of the teachers are against it.
    I suppose you can look at it as a learning experience of, what would you do scenario, but damn! That would freak me out!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:53 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Honestly, I'm wondering what was being tested. Reaction time, I get that, but what were the teachers supposed to do? Were they trained ahead of time in how to act and what steps to take in case of an emergency? Because if someone burst in on me and started shooting, all it would do is freak me out for no good reason and I'd have no idea in the world what was expected of me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:23 AM on May. 2, 2013

• This kind of stunt could needlessly scar children for life ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:29 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Did they even review the health of the people they were scaring the sh!t out of??? When people in that room start coming up with heart conditions in the next 12 months that school district is going to being paying $$$ for their stupidity.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:28 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Well I think we should train our teachers in situations like that BUT to me that was a stupid stunt to pull specially if the teachers has never been train in how to react and what they should do or not.

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:44 AM on May. 2, 2013

• I think they should have warned the teachers that sometime in the next 2 weeks we will be having a drill that will involve real guns with blanks. Don't give them a time/place as that would defeat the purpose of seeing how everyone would react. Those first few minutes are crucial. My sister is a teacher and they've been given training on what to do but just like driving a car of which we're all trained to handle you never know how you will react to a blown tire, crash, etc. I think some training exercises are good but they do need to be aware of a time frame they could happen just so heart attacks, teachers shooting back, etc don't happen.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:33 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Stupid, stupid, stupid. What if someone was hurt or had a heart attack or a gun even?
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 11:34 AM on May. 2, 2013

• "This kind of stunt could needlessly scar children for life ..." Winterglow
    Read the article...the kids were not there.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on May. 2, 2013

• What I was thinking is they put those teachers at risk for a heart attack. I am not too sure how I feel about this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:43 PM on May. 2, 2013