People are happiest when you lie to them

That seems to be the bottom line on the JCP "apology ad".  There is something to be said for it - it's what keeps Kohl's and Walmart in business - charge a 200% mark up, call it a "sale" price with a 100% markup, and people think they're getting an awesome deal on Chinese crap.

But, does JCP apologizing for it's campaign to stop lying and artificially inflating prices (while putting prices back up to a 100%+ increase so they can mark it down on sale once a month) really endear them or just make for an awkward situation where they point out how stupid people really are?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:26 AM on May. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I do have to agree - most people do tend to be happier when hearing lies than truth - unless, of course, they know that the lies are lies. But most would prefer to think what they would like to believe, so they would be happier hearing a lie that confirms what they want to believe rather than the truth that forces the to admit that what they want to believe isn't true.

As far as their ad...I don't think enough people really think about this kind of thing that much. I mean, JCP has a point (or the author, not sure who said it): if the price is the same every day, people don't feel the need to snatch it up - but mark a table from $245 down to $150, and they'll jump on it to get that "special deal" - never mind that it used to be $150 all the time, or that the table probably is barely worth $50 anyway.

I don't think it endears them, but I don't think enough people will realize anything for it to be awkward either.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:36 AM on May. 2, 2013

• I think the real problem is that a majority of consumers determine what they feel something is worth based mostly on an item's cost. I've never really been a fan of JCP, so I am not that familiar with their pricing structure. I tend to only get basics there when the price is similar to other retailers and I am likely to have a good variety of selection (socks and Levi's for DH). I have also ordered drapes from them and after looking all over their pricing on window dressings is quite competitive with other retailers that offer like and kind items.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:22 AM on May. 2, 2013

• If they had good merchandise at lower costs people would shop there. So even though they claimed to stop artificially marking things up, I doubt their regular prices were all that great. However, I don't shop at JCP because there isn't one near me. I hate the fake sales at other stores but some people do enjoy the game.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:18 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Americans are both cheap and stupid.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:02 AM on May. 2, 2013

• Eh, it's the retail world. If I can find clothing marked down to $2.24 at "some" stores, I kinda already know the whole markup thing. That's why you have to be wise and learn to think for yourself. I know which stores I can shop at and how much I can pay at others.... I'm a shopping connoisseur... but you really have to be. The thing is, many don't have time for that. Hence, impulse shopping. It's what the retail world lives on, so to speak.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 AM on May. 2, 2013

• I never really have shopped there anyhow- I don't really like their stuff and it's always been pricier than I like anyway. I went in there to check it out after they went to the no sale thing- I wandered a little bit and then I left. I don't think I have bought anything there for years

The whole sale thing kind of irritates me- if you pay attention, a lot of times things at one store are on "sale" for more than you can get them normally at another so...yeah- makes me shake my head and wonder how many people notice

I'm not sure how much people pay attention, or even care.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:17 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I used to shop there out of habit because it was where my mom went, and where my boyfriend liked to go, but I can usually find better prices elsewhere. I went in recently because there's a large selection of pillows, and I'm choosier about those than most other things. The store was practically empty. Racks and racks with no merchandise on them. I wondered if the place was going to be shut down soon, seriously, it was like a tomb. Then the ad came out, and honestly, I think it's sniveling. I'm less likely to shop JCP because of the ad. Apologizing for something every store does, and most people know, or should know, that's what every store does. Really?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on May. 2, 2013

• JC Penney has always been my favorite place to shop , especially their Home Store and kids clothing. Well, my clothes too. I appreciated their apology and their marketing approach. I will continue to shop there and I really hope they are in business for a long, long time. I'd hate to see them close. Our Penney's store was recently remodeled and looks great.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 7:17 PM on May. 3, 2013

• So dont shop at these place if that is how you feel. I agree with m-avi you really have to be yr own person when you shop for you and yr family. It is the same way in the grocery world!! But you still go buy groceries cause you gotta eat and its the buisness world and you cant stop and control how they do things but you can control how you spend yr money and what you spend it on. Of course they mark things up and them mark them down to make people believe its on sale. Is exactly the same way when you get restaraunt coupons in the mail. They try to make you think yr getting a deal when really yr not. and just because some people like shopping at these places doesnt make them idiots people like what they like. I buy things I like whether its at one store or another if I like and I have the money I will buy it who are you to judge.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 8:30 PM on May. 5, 2013

• So dont shop at these place if that is how you feel.

Way to miss the point...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:38 PM on May. 5, 2013