College, worth it or not?

A popular talk show host advocates thinking long and hard before you send your child off to college and states in most cases it is not worth it. It's destroying America. Indocternating young minds, graduating with debt they can never get out of, and no practical life skills. So skip college my friends. It squashes creativity and tells you science is everything.

Are yougoing to keep your conservative child home and not send them to college?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• depends on what you go to college for
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:57 PM on May. 2, 2013

• My kids are small & I already set up College funds for them. I will help guide them to specialize in some area that they like. Knowledge is never a waste.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:58 PM on May. 2, 2013

• There is a point there, speaking as someone surrounded by college students all day. The ones who are there because their parents sent them, and their parents are paying for it, are by and large wasting their parents' money. They don't give a shit, don't try, usually don't have a clue what they want to do, and are basically there to keep from having to get a job to support themselves (or pay rent at home).

The end result is they screw up and lose their eligibility for aid when the time comes that they do finally grow up and actually want to pay attention. Every semester I see people disappear because they fucked around long enough that they ran out of probation and/or their grant money was cut off on academic grounds.

Most of them would be better off going to work for a few years, then going to college after they grow up and can appreciate the thousands of dollars it costs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on May. 2, 2013

• If they want to major in philosophy I may tell them to rethink it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:08 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Education can never be taken away. I'm not working in either of the fields I went to college for, but I learned a lot through both experiences--and I have no debt left over from either one. It can be done. College isn't for everybody, but a lot of jobs are requiring degrees these days, and keeping your kid out of post high school study just because you're afraid of what science might teach him or her is going to impose a bigger handicap on the child than anything else. Sooner or later, your kid has to get out in the big wide world and come to his or her own decisions about what beliefs make sense.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I have a son who (should be/ might/ is) going to college.
    His dream is to be a music teacher. Unfortunately, he will find himself with a degree, a huge amount of debt, and NO JOB! His own school district and the neighboring one have cut music from the curriculum as of next school year. I'm all about getting an education, and following your dreams, but in this case it's setting him up for failure. :(

I really wish he'd join the military, and then he and use his GI bill to further his education, and really figure out what he'd like to do with his life. I was in my 30's before I really decided what I wanted to be when I grew up. I can't imagine making that choice when I was 18. You're legally an adult, but you still have no freakin' clue what the real world is like. My hubby is a welder. He is turning 50 and doing the most physical, hard labor, and his body will not take much more of it., and certainly not when he's 65!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:30 PM on May. 2, 2013

• college is worth it IF you do it right. find a way to pay for it so you dont have tons of debt, go b/c you have a specific job in mind, and have a clear idea of that job. going to college is not for everyone and way too many kids are forced to get a degree b/c thats what their parents think is most important. yet, mom & dad wont pay for it.

i went to college cause thats what middle class ppl do and i got a degree in a field that ive never worked in b/c i just wanted to graduate and move on. luckily, my parents paid for most of it and the rest i got scholarships and worked to pay off. but still, i didnt know what i was doing there, especially when my first 2 majors didnt work out. but when i finally figured out what i wanted to do with my life, having that BS was important. im able to be a grad student and start my dream job in 2 years instead of 4 AND have an advanced degree.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2013

• as for the indoctrination angle...if you raise your kids in a very ignorant bubble, yes they will grow into well rounded smart citizens that start to see the world clearly instead of thru lenses of hate at college. its sad that you see that as a bad thing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2013

• No, my conservative kids are smart enough to deflect any attempts at indoctrination. I argue the liberal side of things with them quite often not because I am liberal (I'm extremely conservative) but to see where their minds are and to teach them to back up their positions on things.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on May. 2, 2013

• There is a huge vocational technical training void in this country - we can't all be doctors and lawyers.

Another side to the problem, employers want an applicant to possess a BA to just be a receptionist - I mean, COME ON!

There are ways to obtain a lower cost education, get your gen ed requirements at the community college level. Pay for college as you go along, not in one humongous lump at the end.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:16 PM on May. 2, 2013