Garlic...jar, fresh or powder: which, if any, do you use?

Is there that much of a difference in fresh vs the minced bottled garlic? I've only bought fresh so incurious if the is enough of a difference to be worth it.

What kind do you use?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I usually just use the powder, but I've bought the kind in a jar and do really like it. I've never tried fresh because I don't know how to cut it up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:18 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I prefer fresh, but to save time I bought some in a jar.. it's just not the same. It has an odd smell and it's doesn't taste right, but I can't just throw it away so I will use it until it's gone and never buy it again. I do use powdered in some things as well.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:18 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Depends on the recipe. I use both.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2013

• * i use powder and fresh. Never jarred.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2013

• All of the above, however there's something about the jar stuff (preservative maybe?) that gives me migraines. I have a friend who experiences the same thing, too.
    I finally bought a garlic press, so now I've been using fresh in all my cooking.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:21 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Fresh only. Nothing else compares.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:22 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Ballad, do you have a microplane? I never chop it anymore since I bought one.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:23 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Fresh, I have bought the jar kind and like cassie said, it just doesn't taste right.
    Ballad, you can buy a garlic press from the dollar store. Nothing compares to fresh garlic ☺
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:25 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Only fresh. I've used the powdered but not the jarred.

Answer by missanc at 2:26 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I only use fresh.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:27 PM on May. 2, 2013