Is anyone else sick and tired of being judged based on how you raise your kids?

I'm sure some of you don't give a damn and honestly I wish I had your attitude, because I am sick and tired of being looked upon as if I don't know how to take care of my kids. I'm doing the best that I can. They're not starving, not going out without clothes and they are both pretty smart kids. I know I lack in some areas and I'm trying to be better, but I'm just sick of the way my family judges me and especially the way other moms judge me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Simple. tell them to fuck off. Tell them they are MY kids and I will raise them how I want.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:14 PM on May. 2, 2013

• What exactly is it that they think you are doing wrong?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:15 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I just don't give a fuck. I refuse to raise kids that are scared of their own shadows and think everyone owes them something. I'm raising them to be good men who know how to take care of their families and stand on their own two feet. You have to ignore the judgmental moms out there because there's always going to be someone standing over your shoulder saying you're doing that wrong. Good moms worry about the job their doing, bad moms think they're amazing. I worry too but I don't let catty women affect how I live my life.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:17 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Anonymous

• LostSouls,

I try to have that attitude, but I'm too damn sensitive and take a lot of bullshit to heart.

Ginger,

I like what you said about a good mom worries about the job she's doing and a bad mom thinks she's AMAZING! I think that's a very good point.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:20 PM on May. 2, 2013

• lol at the pic.

I understand what you mean but I also don't mind being judged I suppose.

Hard to explain but I take pride in my son and know that I'm raising him well but like others have said there are always people who judge you no matter what. Take for example my son's teacher saying that perhaps his lack of attention that day was because he had to much sugar in the morning?? LOL yes I give my son sugar no not really at breakfast but he does eat some breakfast cereals(that have some sugar) and he likes maple and brown sugar oatmeal. She comes from a school that is anti-sugar lol Doesn't mean I'm a bad parent.

Perhaps I'm like some of the other mothers and I just don't care about what they think, I have a strong sense of what I think is right and wrong and most judgments don't bother me...but there are times they do and I do spend some time thinking to myself and working out if there is something I can do better or...
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:24 PM on May. 2, 2013

• ........not.. This isn't to say I am a perfect parent. Far from it. and my son is no perfect angel either lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:25 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I don't care what anyone else thinks of how I parent my son. I know I am not perfect, but neither is anyone else. So anyone who tells you, you are doing something wrong just remember they are also fucking up in some way. Keep that in the back of your mind.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:31 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I guess what bothers me the most is the way my mom referees my parenting. SHe's always saying, "You should do this" or you should do that. And not only does it get on my nerves, but it makes me feel like I am not doing a good enough job for her standards even though they are happy healthy kids. Yet she always makes me feel like I'm not raising them well enough. I know I shouldn't be around my mom anymore but she is their grandma and they love to see her, so I'm stuck not knowing what to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on May. 2, 2013

• It's hard, but you have to make the best decisions you can and then stand by them confidently. There's always someone out there who will tell you how you're doing something wrong, but in the end, their opinions don't matter unless you're neglecting or abusing your kids. I have very little contact with a lot of my family now because from the beginning, they thought I shouldn't be raising my daughter since I have a disability, and they're always looking for any nit-picky little reason to say I'm not doing a good job. I won't deal with their high and mighty criticism, so I just don't deal with them at all. A few strangers like to say stupid remarks about how it isn't fair to a child to have a blind mom, or it isn't safe for her, and those ones I try to educate, but if they won't listen I have to just walk away and not think about their idiocy or let it bother me. That might be something you have to consider.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 PM on May. 2, 2013