Is it really that complicated?

There's an ad on my CM page right now for some brand of diaper that turns blue when it gets wet so you can see when to change your baby. Really? Is it that complicated that we need wetness indicators now? How did we get along before this innovation?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:45 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hear ya! My 1/2 sis has a baby & I was surprised about that line. Whatever happened to just feeling if it's squishy or doing the snif test?! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:50 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Oh goodness. That's just another gimic to me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:52 PM on May. 2, 2013

• LOL! I'll tell ya though, when I was a first time Mom, I was so nervous about changing my Son that I liked them a lot! They only come in newborn size though I think. In all reality they are not a necessity but first time Parents go all out on new ideas don't they!?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:08 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Common sense will do the same and more effectively!! how did we doit before, with instinct and that good old common sense..

Answer by older at 5:27 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Amazing how kids grew up without all this crap!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:16 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I really liked it when my kids were newborns. They didn't pee a lot at one time and the newer diapers are so absorbent that they didn't feel "squishy" or wet. Is it necessary? No, but I liked knowing as soon as my kids were even a little wet so I could get them dry and comfortable as quickly as possible.

Answer by missanc at 6:58 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Ballad, of course it's necessary because, don't forget, we get people on here asking all sorts of common sense questions, such as "he hits me, should I leave?" or "Is it okay to smoke pot while pregnant" or "I'm coughing blood, should I see I a doctor?" or "Do I have to use this brand?" As teen pregnancy rises, there are less people prepared well enough to parent. I'd rather play it safe than to have some news story about a baby that didn't have its diaper changed for a week because the mother didn't know she had to. If I ran this country, I'd make all parents take mandatory parenting classes for a year and I'd put birth control in the water system (half kidding about the last thing). More reason why kids need to stay in school and get further education. I feel like our country is just getting less intelligent by the minute.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:57 AM on May. 3, 2013

• society is getting lazier and lazier and need help on everything.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:15 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I agree with LostSoul88 society is lazy......The more stupid crap that comes out like this the less instincts mothers have...They do have classes new parents can take...If my 12 year old can tell when a babies diaper needs to be changed then a new mother no matter what age they are can to. I never liked the idea of pull ups either its just one more thing you have to break them from. hellokittykat I dont agree with you I think yr just one of those lazy parents who doesnt have time to parent yr kids so you rely on technology to do it for you.
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 9:44 AM on May. 3, 2013

• Fairymom, Lost wasn't saying she used the high tech diapers, she was saying society as a whole is using its collective common sense less and less and relying more on technology and other aids that promote laziness.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:03 PM on May. 3, 2013