I found my dream job! Any tips on writing my resume?

I have accomplished a lot at my current job but I tend to sell myself short. Also, its says "Please include the name and telephone number of at least three (3) professional references." How would I list that? What I need to include their profession or just their name and phone number? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• Just their name, work address and phone number. You can explain the professional relationship in more detail, if asked. Usually your references will give the information on how they are acquainted with the applicant.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:20 PM on May. 2, 2013

• They say name and phone number, so I'd leave it at that. I'd put it on the resume like this:

PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES:

Name ###
    Name ###
    Name ###

They'll ask you or your reference if they want more info on where they work, what they do or how they know you, etc.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:44 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Thanks, wendythewriter!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:47 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Good luck. This isn't the time to sell yourself short. Tell about your accomplishments as if you are speaking about a friend you are proud of, if need be.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:50 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Usually the name, phone number and address and also their job title.
    These should be people in the field you are applying for that can speak about your knowledge of the work and your work ethic
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 AM on May. 3, 2013

• References for [Your Name Here]

Reference Name
    Phone Number starting with area code
    Best times to call:

As for your resume, be sure to proofread many times. Sentence structure has to be consistent, such as starting with a verb. Use past tense for jobs you no longer work.

Job Title, Company name, Dates worked
    -Consistently Increased sales by 15% each quarter
    -Trained five employees in sales promotions and product demonstrations
    -Operated the cash register and customer service center for a high volume store
    -Provided excellent customer service to clients with questions about products, warranties, and returns

Always list your best accomplishment at any job at the top of the list. Be specific about your accomplishments. People like numbers and percentages. You can guess about that but don't lie either. List a short summary of your job experience at the top. Then, list your skills, then job history and e
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:37 AM on May. 3, 2013

• P.S. Google sample resumes for the job field you work in. Look at several. There is no right way to design a resume. You should take everything you see as advice because some people mislead others into thinking that there is some hard set rule about a resume's format and there isn't, except for those working in the federal government. I've had several people insist I change my resume over the years, and am so glad I didn't because I always got jobs with them. I also found out later that some people who give advice do not have the best intentions for you (jealous or they just don't want competition). Always know the credentials of your sources. Lots of people give advice but it doesn't mean they're qualified to give it. Never put hobbies, your social security number, or "references available upon request" on a resume. They already asked for your references anyway, so it's unnecessary to write that.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:43 AM on May. 3, 2013

• oh yeah and....GOOD LUCK!

fingers crossed

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:44 AM on May. 3, 2013