Should I be wrote up?

At my job my availability is 8am to 7pm. I have it that way because I am a single mother of three. No one there has kids and if they do they are not living with them or they have help. I'm pretty much the only one who supports 4 people and live on my own. No one there understands anything when it comes to the kids. Well anyways Friday they had me down for 4pm- 9pm. They know I can not work that. I had told them Wednesday that no one will baby sit that late for me and I will trade anyone if they wanted. There was no one with in my hours that could trade. I texted the manager again to let her know I still cant find a sitter. All she wrote back was yea ok. So i texted the GM. She told me it is my responsibility to find someone because it was my shift. Well I honestly don't understand how its my responsibility when I told them i cant work that shift.  I gave them since Wednesday to find someone. They told me i will be wrote up. Also not one of the managers or gm have a child!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• I think if you've agreed on a set time schedule it's their problem. The moment you knew the shift changed, was the moment they needed to be informed you weren't available. I'd sit down with both boss and GM and explain (again) your circumstances. How long have you been doing the morning shift without any problems? I wonder if they can get busted some way for discriminating against a mom? I don't know but good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:24 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Unfortunately mothers are not a protected group so discrimination means nothing. That being said if you had it in writing what your available times were and they scheduled you outside that then it is their problem in my book, but their policies may say different. If it is a problem then it is time to find another job and I understand that is not always easy, but if they continue to write you up you will end up fired instead which will look bad on a resume. Better to leave on good terms if you can find another job before then.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much since I was always scheduled to come in anywhere from 9am to 11am. And to get off before or at 7pm.. When we got a new GM she changed my hours and i told her I can only work 8am-7pm and she said ok. There isnt any reason to talk to her again. She isnt worried about anyone but her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on May. 2, 2013

• it is not a mom thing, but a what was agreed were going to be your hours

how long have you been there?

and like other mom said- do you have the hours you were working in writing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:32 PM on May. 2, 2013

• If you were hired with the understanding that you can not work past 7PM then they do not have a right to schedule you to that shift. If it is in your personnel records that you were hired under those conditions, they can not schedule you nor write you up for it.  That does not mean that they will not do it, just that you can complain to HR and they should be able to straighten it out.

It does not matter if they have kids or not.  They were not hired, nor were you, on the basis of their dependents.  Whatever is outside of the jobs is each person's own affair and does not have any bearing one what goes on at work.  That is a losing argument.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:55 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Can they do that... yes. Should they do it, NO. It's piss-poor management. Period.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:55 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Dard- that is only true if she's signed a contact with them... but if she is an employee at will they can change her hours at any time as is needed for their business. It sucks, but well within their rights.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:57 PM on May. 2, 2013

• A general manager needs to fill positions for specific times. If they try to cater to everyone, they would never be able to run a business. I know it is difficult and frustrating to juggle everything, but it will get better with time. I raised 3 kids as a single mom.

Wether or not they or you have kids doesn't matter. You are misplacing your frustration. Stay logical and try not to take this personal. Keep smiling, keep your chin up and make things better. I would just start looking for a different employer with a totally set schedule that works with your daycare times.

How old are your kids?

Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:35 PM on May. 2, 2013

• @LeJane, 4, 5 and 10 months.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I've been a similar experience before for calling out sick. It's unfortunate but it happens. The system has always been messed up. I say that you should just ask someone to babysit who doesn't mind getting paid later or just pay now if you can't find anyone who agrees to that. It's more important to keep the job than to lose it over 1 incident. However, I would start looking for another job right away because this will likely come up again. Try to live closer to family and friends who can help you out because getting a new job isn't going to solve all the problems.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:21 AM on May. 3, 2013