Is it possible to get a job even though I have a shitty work history?

It's not that I got fired a lot, I just didn't stick with a job for more than a few months at the time. The last job I had was seven years ago. I just didn't have very good work motivation, but since then I've gone back to school in the hopes that it will "makeover" my resume so I'm more marketable as an employee. But will having a shitty work history six years ago and beyond hurt my chances?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 8:21 PM on May. 2, 2013 in Money & Work

• Do you have any volunteer experience in the past 6 years? Do you have some strong references? I don't think you will land a great job right off the bat, but you should be able to get something to get your foot in the door and work your way up.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:28 PM on May. 2, 2013

• yes,it can impact whether you get a job or not

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Yes, especially if there is someone applying for the same job that has a better history and wasn't as prone to quitting after a few months. Companies generally want to hire someone that is reliable and leaving a job after only a few months decreases your reliability regardless of whether you were fired or quit.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:29 PM on May. 2, 2013

• I did an internship for College Prowler where I wrote editorials and sometimes I still maintain what I posted. I'm also about to start an internship where I will write grant proposals. So I'm hoping those two work experiences will help expunge my shitty work history.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 8:38 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Definitely include your internships.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:39 PM on May. 2, 2013

• That long ago, I doubt it. What may hurt you is the length of time that you were unemployed as an adult. What will help you is that at least part of that time you were going to skill to get the skills you need.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:46 PM on May. 2, 2013

• Sure, it's possible. But you'll have to take anything you can get to start with and work your way up from there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:37 PM on May. 2, 2013

• just curious...did the jobs you had in the past have anything to do with the jobs you are applying for now? like are they in similar fields? cause if they were just random jobs, you dont have to include them. ive been told and read on job sites that you dont have to put every single job you've had on your resume (unless they tell you to). they say that if its long ago and you've changed a lot, gone to school, etc. the employee will ask you about it during an interview, but if you put it on the resume you may never get the interview.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:10 PM on May. 2, 2013

• You may need to take a job beneath your training for awhile to show that you have changed and are worth a company investing in training.....

You should also provide good reasons' of lapse of work for what you were doing for the last 6 years. Out of the last 6 years,
    how long did you go to school ? What did you get a degree in ?
    It is like anything else, History tends to repeat itself and you will have to counter what has gone on in the past.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:45 PM on May. 2, 2013

• One other thought: Some industries are really seasonal. If the jobs were retail or even IT, short jobs won't hurt you as much.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:22 PM on May. 2, 2013