Are your younger kids getting hooked on technology? My 5 year old will write anything on the iPad (letters, numbers, etc) but seems to thing that traditional paper and pencil is for "coloring"! She just turned 5 so will start kindergarten next year.

My 5 year old will write anything on the iPad (letters, numbers, etc) but seems to thing that traditional paper and pencil is for "coloring"! She just turned 5 so will start kindergarten next year. I'm just wondering if the younger generations are becoming more dependant on tech gadgets?? Anyone else??

wifemomteacher

Asked by wifemomteacher at 12:56 AM on May. 3, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son(5 and starting K in fall) LOVES technology. But he also has no problem writing on paper(letters, numbers, his name etc.) Do you set time up to do that stuff off the tablet..without technology?

I work with my son either just with paper(meaning I write out what I want him to trace or repeat etc) or with some lesson books I pick up for cheap. I limit his technology each day as well.

most definately they can become dependent on the tech, the key is to try and not let them I think.

Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:00 AM on May. 3, 2013

• Thank you!!!! At least I know we aren't alone! :) I do definitely work on things without the technology gadgets!!! We have time limits on usage and all that...but wow....she LOVES it! And my oldest is homeschooled online, so of course she sees big sister doing that...and well you know they love to do what the older what is doing. I am just going to keep working at it....and trying not to stress it!
    Thank you for responding! :)
    wifemomteacher

Comment by wifemomteacher (original poster) at 1:02 AM on May. 3, 2013

• My daughter recently turned five and will start kindergarten in the fall. She loves technology, but we don't have a tablet in the house so she only gets to play on the phones of a few friends at churc. She'll write on paper, but it's only been in the last month or two that she's had much interest in letters and numbers at all. So your child may just not quite be ready yet. I wouldn't worry too much, although limiting screen time may be a good idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:03 AM on May. 3, 2013

• Thank you!!!! Definitely cutting down!
    wifemomteacher

Comment by wifemomteacher (original poster) at 1:08 AM on May. 3, 2013

• The granddaughters have access to the internet at school and daycare only. Mom does not have it at home. Kuddos to her because they instead read books, go to the park, and the library. The other day we all went out as a family to dinner. Granddaughter wanted to listen to my iPhone at the table. My daughter immediately took it away from her and told her to be social. Instead of phones, etc... we sat and had a nice conversation with the girls.

I'm glowing with pride.... LOL! I must have taught her right.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:07 AM on May. 3, 2013

• My five year old is starting kindergarten in the fall as well, and he loves technology too. He has all sorts of educational games and things, as well as video games, and he knows how to use the internet, etc, but I really do try to limit his screen time. Usually we have a system in place where we do pages out of his workbooks (he's doing first and second grade work at home already), and for every page (front and back counts as two pages) he gets five minutes of screen time, which he's not allowed to trade in until he's earned at least thirty minutes worth. I give him a little extra time if we've been having a particularly good day, or I'll reward him with it for other things, too. But he's really good about coloring and writing and reading and all on his own, as well. He has chalk boards and books and all sorts of other things he uses during the day on his own. And he'd stay up all night reading in his bed if I'd let him ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:22 AM on May. 3, 2013

• With things the way they are, though, it IS good for a kid to at least know how to navigate a computer and use technology. Just don't let 'em be dependent on it ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:23 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I wouldn't allow my kids to have so many gadgets. Kid appropriate gadgets, OK but adult electronics, no way. They'll get addicted and it's important that they write with pencil and paper and crayons to practice motor skills. If I were you, I'd take all the electronics away and bring them back to the basics. Plus, it would spoil them less and make them appreciate things when they get older. If you don't do it now, it only gets worse.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:48 AM on May. 3, 2013

• My kids love the computer, but they also do pencil and paper work too. We homeschool, so it's entirely up to me how and what they learn. I teach them typing and computer skills, because I do think they're very, very important, but I also make sure that they do work that requires pencil and paper, because that stuff is still very, very important, too. At least, it is in my opinion.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:46 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I think in this age it's hard to keep it completely away and I don't think it's good for them either - there are tons of educational interactive apps. My 2 yo and 4 yo get time with our iPad and phones and of course they love them, but we limit it and also spend time coloring and doing workbooks. However, I don't think that just writing is the only way kids learn. We do a lot of pattern recognition work and puzzle type games to work on problem solving, which I think is at least as important as writing. The writing will come with school, teaching them to really think can be more difficult.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on May. 3, 2013