My 8 month old is rejecting his bottle!

My 8 month old son is formula fed. All day yesterday I managed to get maybe 15 oz of formula in him, and this morning he will only take a few sips. All he wants is solid food! I've been giving him sippy cups with water to keep him hydrated, and I tried a sippy with formula this morning but he won't take that either. He's eating solids like crazy, but is that enough?

If it keeps going throughout today too I'm going to call his doctor, but I thought maybe some mamas here might have been through this and have some tips or ideas.

SamanthaAgain

Asked by SamanthaAgain at 11:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is getting one of his front teeth..that could be the culprit. Try a faster flow nipple (sometimes it is just too painful to suck that hard and they makeup for it by eating more solids). Also, he could be going through a little phase. My daughter recently went through a finger foods only phase where she wanted to do all of the feeding herself and went overboard on how much she was eating. Then she wasn't hungry for her bottle. It passed within a week though...I just gave plenty of water fruits and juice/water to keep her hydrated.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ugh, and now he's constipated. I just changed his diaper and it was full of little rock hard pebbles. He's drinking juice now.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yea, teething could play a big part in it, my son, who was a PIG, woulnd't take the bottle when teething, he would cry and scream. What I would have to do is put ambesol on his gums, then give him tylenol, by the time the ambesol wore off the tylenol kicked it. But if your son isn't teething, then I don't know.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• He cut his first two teeth over the weekend, but they're both totally through now and he doesn't act like he's in pain at all. Would they still hurt after they've cut? The bottle rejection didn't happen until after they were through. Maybe they're bothering him?
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My guys never acted like they were in pain. The only way I knew they were teething was the teeth appeared. He could have more coming in...

(if he's drinking from a sippy at all, it's a good time to dump the bottles altogether...easier to get rid of them NOW rather than later)

Start offering table foods and working him up to getting his nutrition from real food. It's not too early...if you can mash it between the roof of your mouth and your tongue...he can gum it.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:38 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It is not enough! Babies need milk as their MAIN source of nutrition. Solids until 1 year should ONLY be for PRACTICE! Give it to him in a sippy cup if you think it's because of teething. Cut back on solids.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• MoonLover06, he won't take his sippy cup either. I've tried putting off solids, letting him get hungry hoping he'll turn to his bottle, but he just pushes it away and screams for food.

I guess I should call the doctor.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:16 PM on Feb. 17, 2009