Tried as an adult or just a slap on the wrist in Juvi?

A family is holding on to hope as their father, a youth soccer referee who fell into a coma after being punched in the head by a player over the weekend, remains in extremely critical condition.

Riccardo Portillo, 46, sustained a punch to the side of his head after he issued a yellow card to a 17-year-old player during a soccer game Saturday. The teen was booked into a juvenile detention center for investigation of aggravated assault, according to Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.

Hoyal said the player did not use a weapon but is being investigated for that potential charge because of the severity of the injury.

Initially, the family didn't understand the severity of their father's injuries. Portillo had been hurt before while officiating games, his daughter said. They waited for the call to come pick their father up from the doctor's office, but it never came.

Shawn Smith, a doctor at Intermountain Medical Center, said the hit to the side of Portillo's head caused bleeding around the blood vessels in one area of the brain, and blood loss and edema in another.

Smith couldn't provide much information about how the injury occurred, but as of Thursday, Portillo was still suffering from immense swelling in his brain, despite the hospital's efforts to alleviate it.

Portillo remained in extremely critical condition, the doctor said, but more answers could come in the next several days.

The family expressed appreciation for Smith and other hospital personnel who have cared for their father and the family.

Ricardo Portillo's oldest daughter, Johana, wept as she said that one person's decision had impacted her entire family.

"It's just not fair. He was a really loved person," she said of her father. "We'll just have to wait. We wait and we hope for a miracle that he'll be OK."

Johana Portillo said her father loved to be a referee, spending whole weekends outside for the game he loved.

More than that, he loved his daughters. Before Saturday's attack, the family had been planning a vacation and a birthday party for Ricardo Portillo's youngest daughter, who turns 16 on Friday.

"He was always there for us," Johana Portillo said. "He wasn't just my dad. He was our friend. And I know he doesn't want to leave us."

As they wait for their father to heal, they also wait for justice, Johana Portillo said.

"I don't want another family to go through the same pain as we are right now," she said. "For me, I want (the teen accused of assault) in jail forever. That's what I want for my dad."

They are treating this 17 year like a child! He should be locked up in jail nor Juvi! If he punched someone hard enough to put them in a coma/crital condition he needs to be tried as an adult. So what happens if this guy dies? Just keep him locked up till he turns 18-21 and tell him to be nice? It's BS if you ask me. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:29 AM on May. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• He should be tried as an adult. Kids younger than that have been. They might be waiting to see if the man dies or recovers to decide how to charge him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 AM on May. 3, 2013

• He needs to be tried as an adult. He's 17, more than old enough to fully comprehend the effect his actions could have. It's not like he's an 8 yr old who got overly upset.

As far as juvi, though, I think they put anyone under 18 there, at least until a determination is made whether to charge them as an adult or a minor. I would imagine once he's (hopefully) charged as an adult, they would move him.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:49 AM on May. 3, 2013

• At 17, he absolutely should be tried as an adult. There was a case here very recently where someone punched another man in a casino and the man died.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:01 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I agree he needs to tried as an adult.........Peace and prayers for this family smh!!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 9:33 AM on May. 3, 2013

• I think he should be tried as an adult. He knew punching the ref was wrong and only did it because he got a yellow card.

I hope the victim pulls through.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:35 AM on May. 3, 2013

• That's awful. He's months away from being an adult, try him as an adult. I think it's BS that they're not taking this more seriously.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:14 AM on May. 3, 2013

• He should be tried as an adult, & put through extensive anger managment, as well as counsiling, to learn how to deal properly w/ his anger issues. I'm sure he probably wasn't trying to end up w/ the result that he did, he just wanted to show the ref, how angry he was, but regaurdless of whether he intended to cause that much damage or not, he needs to be punished, & he needs help. Hopefully he's learning a valuable lesson from this & uses this unfortunate event as a turning point in his life. Prayers are w/ the victim & his fam. I hope he pulls through, is able to make a full recovery!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:18 AM on May. 3, 2013

• Damn, you've have to hit someone pretty hard, I'm guessing, to put him in a coma. Over a soccer game. What is this world coming to?

Yes, I think the teen should be tried as an adult.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:09 PM on May. 3, 2013

• He needs to be tried as an adult. Prayers for the family.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:53 PM on May. 3, 2013

• So sad, this man will likely come out with permanent damage if he survives at all.. Head injuries with bleeding and swelling don't do well and very few bounce back like nothing happened..

The 17 year old should be charged as an adult..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:57 PM on May. 3, 2013