Would you postpone a family vacation or medical appointments because the NCLB test was broken?

Indiana's ISTEP is broken. All the kids that were supposed to test this week couldn't, finally about half of them could, and the other half (or more, at some schools) have to do them next week instead. There was an interview on the news just now with someone from the state agency that runs the test, saying they understand how it's inconvenienced people by disrupting family plans and schedules.

I'm sitting here thinking this woman must be high - why would I reschedule a dentist appointment or change a day out because their computers were broken?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on May. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• Don't they usually schedule additional make up days for the test ? They do here.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:47 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Not a vacation where i would be out money, but i would reschedule an appointment. I wouldn't want my kids having to take the test on a different day and missing class time while doing it because I was unwilling to reschedule an appointment.

Answer by missanc at 6:14 PM on May. 3, 2013

Not enough to cover the servers crashing for an entire week. I'm sure they'll have to, because most of the kids in the state will already be on makeup days to try to take it the first time, and some of them will end up getting sick.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:16 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Now aren't they talking about test to graduate to the next grade?

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on May. 3, 2013

• I wouldn't be scheduling a vacation during the school year so that wouldn't be a problem. It depends on the appt if I would reschedule it or not. Some of the offices around here are impossible to get into so he would be going that day regardless of what else was going on.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:05 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Doesn't any one take tests with pencil and paper anymore?!?!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:19 PM on May. 3, 2013

• I wouldn't schedule a dentist's appointment during school time anyways, so I don't see what the issue is. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:29 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Depends on the appt, I guess. For dd's testing for learning disabities there was a three month wait to get in, and they only do the tests in the morning (so during school time). There's no way in hell I would have cancelled that appt for anything.

We don 't do vacations during school, but I wouldn't cancel a trip either. Not my fault the system was down. I planned around the orininal test dates, I woudn't go out of my way to rearrange my life for something that wasn 't my fault.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:51 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Don't get me started on standardized tests!!!

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 10:38 PM on May. 3, 2013