my ex husband is REALLY behind and im suppose to get his refund checks. Last year i got it by now. wonder if he even filed this year or not and how would i find out. also if he filed with his new girlfriend would that mess them up or me?

brendasms80

Asked by brendasms80 at 6:54 PM on May. 3, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• He wouldn't be able to file with his girlfriend if he's not married to her. You probably need to talk to your state agency or caseworker if you have one.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:58 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Do you know if he even GOT a refund this year? Maybe he didn't.

Unless he married the girlfriend, her existence matters not at all. He can only file with a spouse.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:04 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Why are you worried about that money for? Are you depending on it to come? You should never depend on child support to live on.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on May. 3, 2013

• He can't file with her if they aren't married. IF he married & filed with someone they can fill out paper work so she gets her portion but you get his.... BUT only if they are married.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:37 PM on May. 3, 2013

• If he filed with his girlfriend, it could be held up because legally he can't file with someone he's not married to. If they got married and filed together, it could be held up because they're trying to separate hers from his. Other than that, he might have filed for an extension, or it could just be that they are behind and it just hasn't gotten to you yet.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:44 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Ppl do file all the time not married. I've even done it with my friend. And we not married. Also, no I'm not holding my breathe on the child support. I have plenty of income to support us. Also, have no idea if he filed or not. He wouldn't tell me if he did.
    brendasms80

Comment by brendasms80 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Doing it doesn't make it legal. And if you get caught, you'll be in some serious trouble. And just because you did it and didn't get caught (yet) doesn't mean he didn't get caught.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:32 AM on May. 4, 2013

• No it does ask, so it wouldn't let it go thru if you couldn't do it, what the relationship is with and gives you choices. They even have same sex partner on there and common law choice.
    brendasms80

Comment by brendasms80 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Really? Because according to the IRS itself, the only joint filing option is Married Filing Jointly. Common law marriage is considered married, but only 11 states and D.C. recognize common law marriage, and they all pretty much require that they represent themselves as married - which isn't the case if she's known as his girlfriend. And which of those states do you live in? Oh, and federal law doesn't allow for same sex partners to file as married, whether joint or separate.

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:42 AM on May. 4, 2013