Hmmmmm.....

Ok, so... this was the caption that was with this pic...  "Well America! How did we separate ourselves from the communists?"

Personally, I don't care one way or another if it says god on the money, it all spends the same.
But... I know some have VERY strong opinion on this one. 

Discuss... 

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 7:34 PM on May. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Nowadays whenever I see stuff like that, I always wonder whose God we are trusting?

Then again I think more of fecal and drug residue on currency than what is printed on it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:02 PM on May. 3, 2013

• What are we supposed to be discussing the bit about "in God we Trust" not being on Currency until the 1950's or the question of how America separated itself from the "communists". One is a blatant fact. It wasn't always on our money. The other was centered around fear-mongering. There isn't much to discuss.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:40 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Despite what Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley would make you think, the 50's were a very sucky time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:45 PM on May. 3, 2013

• It kind of reminds me of Dard's post the other day:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1334613/Muslims_are_a_peaceful_people

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:44 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Mavi.... that post is way to long to read!! LOL
    Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on May. 3, 2013

• It shouldnt be on there in my opinion. not everyone believes in the same thing., but we all have to work for money.. hmm go figure.
    Anonymous

• I thought it was interesting to think that it may have been added on as a response to communism - that thought never crossed my mind.
    Crafty26

Comment by Crafty26 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on May. 3, 2013

• "I thought it was interesting to think that it may have been added on as a response to communism"

moneymakers could put "in God we trust" on money as early as 1865 and was made mandatory on coins in 1908. and then Eisenhower made the change in order to differentiate the "Christian" America from Atheistic Communist countries. there is no "may", its an established fact. the went so far as to change the US motto to it when they put it on the money...it replaced the unofficial motto of E Plurabus Unum.

it also had a lot to do with Eisenhower being a recent convert to Presbyterianism...he wanted to show everyone how Christian he was in order to get elected (which was always extremely religious just not tied to a denom). its also why he had "under God" added to the Pledge too.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:35 PM on May. 3, 2013