EDIT: WITH UPDATE - Huge favor to ask...If you own a BB gun, could you please check your BBs for me to see if they are copper or steel?

And if they are steel, does the package say whether they are coated in zinc or copper or anything else?

My fat, one-eyed, fixed, declawed cat bolted out of the house when my 4 year old didn't close the door behind her and in the whole hour he was out, some asshat shot him with a BB gun! It is stuck in his muscle, thankfully not a joint, bone, or organ...the meaty part of his butt...but what it is made out of is going to make a difference with how fast we have to get it out of there. He is eating, drinking, walking just fine. No discharge...but it is tender to him and he fought us to look at it. People are evil...shooting a cat in broad daylight...the angle says they had to be standing right over the top of him when they did it, too. Feel awful for him.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome. I am hoping that this can wait until morning. There are no 24 hour pet clinics in our area or anywhere within a 100 mile radius (or more) and emergency calls after hours tend to be 3x more than if we can make it until morning.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:05 PM on May. 3, 2013 in Pets

• My husband keeps his BB pellets in his truck, so I can't be of any help. However, my husband has had a bb pellet in his leg since 1994. I think you can wait until tomorrow morning for this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:10 PM on May. 3, 2013

• It's probably steel and coated with copper or zinc. But it will be fine overnight. I know several vets who have weird ass shrapnel in them for decades and they are fine. One bb is no big deal....except that it hurt your cat of course.... Sorry about that part!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:23 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Thank you for your feedback. Poor buddy. Just makes me sick to think that when it happened, every child in the neighborhood was out playing. Who the hell shoots a pet not knowing if the child it belongs to is outside to see you do it!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:47 PM on May. 3, 2013

• GOOD NEWS!! My dad was able to get ahold of his vet and she said that a lot of times, as long as it is in muscle, they don't even remove the BB. She wants him on antibiotics, they have Saturday office hours, and we can bring him in in the morning.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:14 PM on May. 3, 2013

• well its good the cat is ok.. But i have a question. Were you the one that got the cat declawed?

Anonymous

• No we were not. He was abandoned when we found him almost 6 years ago and he was fixed and declawed at that point. Our 21 year old cat still has her claws...but I won't get self righteous...if she was tearing my house up and behavior couldn't be changed with scratching posts and pads...I would definitely consider it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:46 PM on May. 3, 2013

• I'm glad your cat is going to be okay. I can't understand what would possess someone to shoot a cat with a BB gun. A neighbor threatened to shoot my dog with one years ago, and I was so outraged I told him I'd stick that gun up his ass and shoot the BB's out the top of his stupid head. The next day, my dog was limping, and I thought he'd shot her in the leg, so I took her to the vet. It turned out she had a malignant tumor on her leg, but it was caught early enough to be removed before it spread. So the threat of the BB gun actually saved my dog's life. Still, what would make anybody even think of shooting an animal is beyond me. Now my cousin has had a BB in her arm for more than thirty years, and she's okay. It was never removed, and her body just sort of sealed it off by itself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:07 PM on May. 3, 2013

• People Suck! Year ago, I had a golden retriever that I had adopted as a 6 years old. I had always thought her gait was funny but she did not seem to have any joint issues. When Zippy was about 13, She started limping and hold one leg up when we tried to walk. The x-rays showed several BB'S, An old fracture, in her hip and it looked like she had been shot with some other type of gun.

I would not worry about the BB being there. I would just keep an eye on that area to watch for infection.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:53 AM on May. 5, 2013