Employment and having a "urban" name

Hello,

So I am a unemployed college student who really needs money for school. I was once told by an old English professor of mine that if you have an "urban" or "ghetto" name, you are less likely to be called back for a job if you apply for one. He also said that if you happen to have an urban name, it would be best to use your middle name instead if it is a more basic name. Don't get me wrong i love my name and I'm very much proud of it and my heritage. However, I am in need of a job and can't help but think that my name is the reason why I'm not getting called back. What do you think? should i use my middle name on applications? to me its not lying because it is indeed still my name.

For the record my first name is LaQuita (La-Quee-ta) and my middle name is Christal

quita1991

Asked by quita1991 at 9:21 PM on May. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• Its not lying.. A lot of people go by their middle name But just so you know if you start doing that and you need to fill out other papers that ask have you ever used an alias or another name you have to say yes and tell them christal.

Anonymous

• I am not sure if that is supported by any other research but you could certainly try. What would it hurt? You maybe could also turn it into a research study of your own!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:24 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Hmm..How about a little constructive criticism here? I really don't think it has anything to do with your name. Not to be mean but did you proofread your question here? If I was looking for an experienced & detail oriented person, I would not have a great impression just by reading this here. I am a unemployed is I am an unemployed...Capitalization etc. If you are writing anything on a resume, it better be clear, & well written. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:29 PM on May. 3, 2013

• I really don't think that would be the reason, but I do think it's assumed someone with a ghetto name is on welfare. Society are assholes and your name is the first impression you make.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:39 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Impression is always a very important thing even on networking sites. If you are consistent then you rarely make a mistake. It's very important to NOT talk urban in a professional environment ever either. Like they say, "you must dress for success". Impression speaks louder than experience in many instances. You never know who is listening! Again, GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:42 PM on May. 3, 2013

• @ILovemyPaulie Of course! I am always very professional when I am handling something that is based around business. I just wanted advice so I asked a question. I don't think the way I wrote my question should be held as "urban" or wrong its just a question. I speak differently outside of business or education so that is why I typed my question the way that I did. No harm in that right? I just thought that if I made it clear enough to were people could read it and comprehend what I was saying then that was okay. All in all everyone makes mistakes i guess. Again, Thanks for your comment(s).
    quita1991

Comment by quita1991 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on May. 3, 2013

• Many people go by their middle names, and on resumes and applications would list their first initial, their full middle name, and their last name. For example, if your last name was smith: L. Christal Smith. It acknowledges that your first name is different from what you go by, but then again, I would assume that someone that listed their name like that did, indeed, go by Christal, and if I found out later that you didn't go by Christal, I would think it was weird that you listed it that way.

Just my thoughts.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:55 PM on May. 3, 2013

• I like how you two are pretty much telling each other off. Just being "classy" about it. 

On a site like this, it shouldn't matter how you type. It is just a website. Its not a site to look for potential employers. It is not a site for schooling.

Anonymous

• I would just use the name I was given. Why change something about you to get something, when you can give it your best and still be chosen.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:10 PM on May. 3, 2013

• @Anonymous LOL!!! Is it that obvious?? and THANK YOU!!! That is exactly what I was trying to say. In school or with something like jobs or things that are professional I am very aware not to speak in a crazy way. Like you said, this is just a social network! Out side of school or jobs I speak slang, I curse and everything else. A lot of people do this! So I would like to not be penalized because of it. I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything, I'm just saying.
    quita1991

Comment by quita1991 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 3, 2013