How often should a 3 week old poop?

She's mostly breastfed, and usually has one 4 oz bottle of formula overnight. It's day 3 of no BM, is this concerning?

Asked by frizzed at 11:17 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No worries, breastfed babies easily can go a week without pooping. It is completely normal. I would not worry unless she is grunting and straining.

Answer by kboney29 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Yup, my EBF baby girl would only poop once ever 1.5-2 weeks. PP is right, no straining=no worries.

Answer by navy-wife at 11:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Absolutely normal. Breastmilk is an amazing thing. The truth is, if they're going through a growth spurt, their bodies can use every last ounce of the milk they consume without waste. Even if they're not, babies often go several days in between poos. My doctor once told me there was no reason to even call him regarding poo frequency unless it had been over a week or there was straining involved.

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Anywhere from 5 or 6 times a day to once every 5 or 6 days is normal.
    As long as she goes easily, isn't straining or in pain, and the poop isn't a super large hard lump or lots of tiny hard lumps, she's fine.

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009