Am I too hard on her?

I have a 20 month old DD, and a 4 month old DS. As for my 20 month old, I am strict. No breaking the "known" rules, at all, or she will be punished immediately. She throws her food on the floor, we get down and I will tell her she has to clean up her mess. Ussually she will, but if not, its time out until her will breaks and she cleans it up. Bedtimes are strict as well, a story, and a kiss from everyone, then she lays down. If she gets up, she's in trouble and she knows it, lol. I'm not big on her toys being kept up, or much of anything else. But my family thinks I am too strict on her about some things... I dont think so. I want her to be well behaved, and she says please and thank you, cleans her messes, potties in her chair, and is well loved.

DO you think I am too hard on her?

rach.s92

Asked by rach.s92 at 2:01 AM on May. 4, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds fine to me. The earlier you set the rules, the less spoiled they will be.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:13 AM on May. 4, 2013

• No, you're probably not too hard on her. Children thrive when there are boundaries. If you're not yelling or hitting or withholding your love to make your daughter behave, you're doing fine. Everybody will have two bits worth of free advice; take it for exactly what it's worth and not a penny more.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:32 AM on May. 4, 2013

• I don't think you're being hard on her at all - youi're simply setting the limits and letting her know that there are consequences when she's naughty. Stick to your guns you're doing a good job!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:43 AM on May. 4, 2013

• No- not at all. Kids need structure & need to learn proper behavior. They need to know that there are consequences (good & bad) for their actions. As long as those lessons are taught lovingly, then I say you're doing what any parent should be doing for their children.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:17 AM on May. 4, 2013

• What you describe doesn't sound overly strict. When did people start telling you this? Was it after your son was born? I wonder if maybe the problem (for them, not necessarily you) is that you seem overly harsh? New babies can add a new level of stress, and perhaps they feel that you are too harsh/loud/get more upset than you should be for the given situation.

I'm not saying you ARE harsh/loud/more upset than you should be, just that perhaps they think so, and thus, tell you you're too hard on her.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:41 AM on May. 4, 2013

• I think it's reasonable. She is old enough to understand.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:41 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Actually. I think you are overwhelmed by having two children so close together. I think by you asking this question that you already know the answer. I think you are being too harsh. Remember that movie with Joan Crawford? "No More Wire Hangars!" Even though she is small, she will remember. I believe you may be missing the precious years that you can never get back.

Anonymous

• No you are not, it will pay off!

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on May. 4, 2013

• "she's in trouble and she knows it, lol"

Define "trouble" and I'll give you my opinion
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:26 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I think you will regret this treatment of your daughter.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:07 PM on May. 4, 2013