I have raised three children. I am currently going to school for Criminal Justice. The problem is this summer I would like to do something different because my children are 18 and older now, with that being said, I was thinking of giving some of our parents a break by starting a business where I can watch teeanagers for the parents that are worried about not having anything for them to do during the summer.

i would even be willing to find a location for the summer and keep them over the summer. please tell me what you think and how realistic this is. i know that raising three teenagers at one time was very hard and these days its difficult to sometimes keep a teen out of trouble with nothing for them to do.--i have received two great comments, but i think i need to add what else was going on inside my creative head of mine... i would love to pair the teens up with grandparents...there are a lot of lonely, not well cared for elderly that are in nursing homes that need attention as well. a little daily love, would brighten their days...

latishalbias

Asked by latishalbias at 8:39 AM on May. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

• How much would you be charging? The problem I see here is that it could be expensive for you to keep them entertained and under control, but parents might not be willing to pay a lot, considering these are teens who (in theory, anyway) don't need as much supervision as a younger child.

Also, have you consider what activities you would do? You would need activities, because I don't see parents paying just to have the kids sitting around somewhere. And that's where I cost being an issue. Depending on age, crafts probably wouldn't be something they'd go for - so you'd be looking at stuff like movies, bowling, skating, etc.

Unless...maybe you could do kind of a business for them - set them up with jobs like mowing lawns, babysitting, etc to occupy their time.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2013

• Maybe try for the younger age group and hope that at this time of the year parents have not arranged something for their children for the summer already.
    Teens will get bored just sitting around so you will need to offer more adventure time for them, like trips to amusement parks, bowling, swimming, etc
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:13 AM on May. 4, 2013

• No teenager wants to be babysat. I can't imagine that going over too well. I agree they need supervision. But since most can babysit for others, I'd think the parents would have family, friends or neighbors keeping an eye on things while the kids are home & they are at work. I know I'd expect my teen to be productive around the house as well as finding acceptable employment during the summer months. Too much idle time leads to inventive ways to find trouble! Unless you open some kind of teen center, I don't know if you'll get too many takers. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:24 AM on May. 4, 2013

• i think you are both are right... i was thinking about pairing them up with the elderly. kind of like a adopt a grandparent idea....and they can do a variety of activities with them. it doesnt have to be available this year, but it was a thought for maybe next year.
    latishalbias

Comment by latishalbias (original poster) at 11:27 AM on May. 4, 2013

• The above moms are right plus you will.need licenses and training to be in charge of several troubled teens cuz that I'd what you will have. Teens who are doing fine in life will be working, going to summer camps, helping out around the home, etc. I would never have let my boys go somewhere long term in the summer! I was enjoying being a part of their lives and their experiences!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:28 AM on May. 4, 2013

• It's not something I would consider. Not having to pay for childcare is an advantage to kids growing up! And my kids would rather hang out here where they can bike to their friends house, go swim at the pool, etc than go somewhere else. My kids are responsible and make good decisions so I'm not overly worried about them causing trouble. I don't think you would want a bunch of teens whose parents were worried about trouble!
    Do you have any experience with special needs kids/teens? Daily care for special needs kids is something that many parents are looking for!

Answer by missanc at 11:29 AM on May. 4, 2013

• I like the idea of pairing them with an adopted grandparent. Maybe if some teen are looking for volunteer hours for their schools, you could coordinate that. But there might be proper channels & liability issues. You have some good ideas. Maybe you could find some business partners tohelp you  start some type of teen center in your area. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:46 AM on May. 4, 2013

• You can't just walk in and pair a teen with an elder. There is a huge amount of risk there. They would likely have to pass a background check along with other possible requirements. I'd be very upset if some random teenager had access to my elder family member without those things in place.

I don't know.....I just think you have a great idea but haven't put any significant thought into how huge a deal this is. The liability alone would put me off the idea.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I think you have a really good idea. What I would recommend is to start by finding some interested teens and then taking your idea to the activities planner or volunteer coordinator at a local nursing home. That person will know about the liabilities and rules you need to consider, but teens and their parents might be interested in your services overseeing the group, driving the kids to the nursing home, helping them come up with things to do, etc. I don't see this as a paying job for you, though, so it would probably need to be a labor of love. The staff at nursing homes are usually very busy and grateful to have people come in with activity ideas--I did some work for a nursing home while I was in college years ago and learned a lot about what goes on there from a staf point of view.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:17 PM on May. 4, 2013

• I would sit down with some of these agencies who are understaffed big brother big sister and ask how you can help them. Model your program after their program and go from there. Maybe start at a church and work your way to your own program. There are agencies out there crying out for some kind of help check it out with social services as well. Good Luck Momma.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:24 PM on May. 4, 2013