Are those $1 tests any good? Have been testing using those and getting negatives

I am 3 days late and having pain in lower abdomen and feeling very exhausted. I am testing using the $1 tests and getting negatives. Are those reliable... should I wait more before I can expect to get a positive. Have any of you gotten positives out of those and if so how soon did you test?
I have been trying since 5 months and am tired of shelling out money on expensive tests...

SweKrish

Asked by SweKrish at 11:20 AM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I have never used an inexpensive test, but a friend of mine always used them.

She was able to determine if it was positive or negative:) She did say that the positive line is very faint, though!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 3 days late may not be long enough. Wait a week longer and then test. All the tests are the same...even a pharmacist told me that the off brands are sometimes made by the brand people. And we confirmed this in a lab test at school too.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• They were accurate for me, but I always waited till my period was due or late before I used one. No test is going to be completely accurate if you use it too early. If your period is 3 days late then I would think you are getting accurate results.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• When we were ttc my youngest that is what I used. :) I tested either a day before or a day late (can not remember). It was positive. :) I think they work just fine. Good Luck!!
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i used them. i could buy a weeks worth for 7.00 and do one every am. on day 6 i got a faint positive. i called my bestfriend and yelled yeahhh she end up bringing over a 15.00 test and yup positive. the next am i used my last test and still faint pos. needless to say my friend is trying and now buys the 1.00 ones lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I highly recommend the $1 tests. Some of the cheaper ones are actually more responsive than some of the expensive ones, plus you can test more than once at the end of your cycle and not feel you have wasted a tremendous amount of money. The ones at Dollar Tree I believe can detect hcg as low as 25, whereas some of the high dollar ones don't detect hcg until it gets to 50. There is a website that lists a lot of different tests and rates them based on sensitivity (I think it's called peeonastick.com).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• They are the same ones that planned parenthood uses, so I'd think they are reliable.
    Anonymous

• They always worked for me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 17, 2009